[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be editing my own writing >sperging out over sentence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1398625165992.gif (555KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1398625165992.gif
555KB, 500x366px
>be editing my own writing
>sperging out over sentence structures, tone, and otherwise trying to make everything read perfectly

>take a break

>read acclaimed 20th century author to wind down
>look at it with the same critical eye
>realise that few sentences are stellar and that bar Joyce, Fitzgerald, Miller and a few others, authors write mostly unremarkable prose with the rare moment of genius
>feelsgoodman
>>
please study the topic of delusion
>>
>>9945576
Fuck off and die, faggot. I side with OP on this matter. Kill yourself.
>>
>>9945576
I only mean to say that few authors write entirely in perfect lines, and that their novels are more than the sum of their parts. That one shouldn't worry too much about crafting each individual line because far greater writers have written bland prose here or there without failing to make something great in the finished product

Basically I'm saying I found some alleviant to my "perfectionism" and thought it might help others to see things this way. I understand how you might have read it as puffed-up, though, now I read it back to myself
>>
>>9945582
Relax, dude..
>>
>>9945592
yeah, judging by the incoherent grandiosity of your post, your writing must by goddamn stellar.
>>
>>9945750
I really think you're misinterpreting me on every level here. Have a great day anyway
>>
>>9945566
Yeah, that's why you study poetry to crafts perfect prose.
>>
>>9947025
This.

>Began writing prose
>sucked dick
>pseud, terrible diction and style, trite and contrived
>move to poetry
>think it's easier since it's shorter
>write what I think is 'poetry'
>it's really just purple prose with line breaks
>look up meter and form, begin reading poetry
>this is amazing, but insanely hard
>realize I have a knack for meter
>still struggle
>recently decide to try prose again
>evocative, grammatically tight, flowing diction, stylistic

Poetry really helps you find your voice and understand what language is all about.
>>
>>9945566
It is not a matter of "perfection", but style.
True, you can always go to the snob path and try to have this dry feeling of "everything fits right were it needs to be", artifically crafting your words and story. I'm not saying you should always try to go on a stream of consciusness spree, but those genius moments generally appear there.
There has to be a balance between building your own style, flow, and rules.
>>
>>9947056
The thing I really didn't expect to come from poetry was an actual understanding of grammar,
everything I write outside of it is better now.

cs
>>
>>9945582
Bugs...easy on the repressed rage
>>
>>9947056
>>9947025
This.

Except, I'd add that learning to minimise the words used to express your sentiments on a subject forces you to write in a way that you will have a greater impact on the reader. By using effective images that are efficiently expressed you can become a good communicator, which is important. But, most important, is that by learning about poetry, your prose can move past communicating information to become an expression working with and for the content. That seems to be problem of too many people: either interesting ideas in jarring prose, or good prose with bland ideas. The writers everyone here enjoys the most are recognisable for both their prose and their ideas. Emulating a master stylist without profound sentiments and ideas is worthless. Start with getting those down effectively and efficiently first, then improve your writing - even if that means continuing to Orwell the fuck outta them dank jewels.

I'm going to get that book on meter and form that's in /lit's recommendations, but I think I need to review my grammar guides again, too. Maybe read that Orwell essay I keep hearing about over and over again like its some bible or shit.
>>
>>9947131
It helps you realize just how many of the words one uses are typically filler. Ninety-nine percent of the time if a sentence contains only essential words it's diction improves noticeably. As if every sentence has its own sweet spot.
>>
>>9947546
Really you shouldn't try to emulate in general. Being you're own stylist is learning to become a sculptor; emulating style with effect is cutting and casting cement molds. Only allow influence to emerge naturally, unconsciously; due only to the fact that whatever technique you borrowed from was read by you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.