[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, By each let this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!"

I'm a bit lost here. What does Wilde mean when he says each man kills the thing he loves?
>>
To love something is to project your own ideal onto that thing. But in reality human affairs are flawed, so your love fails not because it is not ideal, but you are.
>>
>>9944718
I don't know, but I do know that Oscar Wilde wrote a story in which one man killed another man by shoving a glass bottle up his ass and having it shatter inside him. What an absolute madman.
>>
>>9944718
Love grows tired, anon. As Wilde himself states. And like most ideas when thought and overly thought about. Consider (if [you] must) entropy....
>>
>>9944718
I forget the context but it's an often heard phrase.
From the perspective of an artist or a thinker I think it means that one must constantly develop.
If you want to perfect yourself you can't cling to your pet ideas, rather you must constantly seek to outgrow them.
At least that is my impression of the meaning.
I don't think that the phrase can be or should be applied to any other definitions of the word "love".
>>
>>9944718
Let's think about the only concrete example he gives: Judas kissing Jesus. It's fairly literal.
>>
He's talking about Waifus.

We all know the end game here is to kill the bitch.
>>
>implying I'm going to do your poetry homework for you

Faggot
>>
>>9945657
Believe it or not some people read poetry for fun. Some of them even post on the literature board of an anime imageboard!
>>
>>9944844
Nips did that to chink women's. vags in WW2.
>>
>>9945608
>>9944842
>>9945131
This all makes sense. So I guess with Dorian Gray he was making the case that the short lived nature of things is part of their charm. I always feel like i'm missing out on part of the experience when I read plays but I think i'm going to read this old perverts complete works.
>>
>>9945907
At the same time, you have to ask yourself: would Oscar Wilde himself really turn down a piece of eternally fresh boipussy like Dorian?
>>
>>9944718
what a great statue!
>>
>>9945907
He's great. Especially the essays and criticism.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.