[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so I've recently remembered an old folktale from my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Okay, so I've recently remembered an old folktale from my childhood but I am unable to find any information on it.

The story is about and old woman and a magician. In the story the woman challenges the magician to see who knows more. The first question that is put for is where the center of the earth is, the magician claims the center must be somewhere in the ocean and the old woman claims it's right under his feet. She proves this by suggesting the magician measure the earth using a rope. The second question that is asked of them is how many stars in the sky. The woman claims there are as many stars in the sky as hairs in the magicians beard. She suggests he count the stars as she plucks his beard hair out.

Unfortunately this is all I can remember of the story. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
This rings a bell, I think the story may have been Romanian in origin
>>
It sounds cool so bump
>>
>>9942933
The thing about folktales is they get appropriated, different cultures like them so they switch out the major characters with characters THEY like and appropriate it as their own, and they basically spread like wildfire with it being difficult to find the origin of it.

Anyway, that aside, you're in luck because I've been reading Idries Shah recently and it's apparently a Mulla Nasrudin story.
>>
>>9943654
>>9942933
here: https://books.google.com/books?id=-uDAUUmOHFkC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=mulla+nasrudin+and+the+scholars+hair+in+beard&source=bl&ots=3l4TIjCAyE&sig=mWVOmkxjHsL8dQXMhtSla6qCyw4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCjJPKtfbVAhUrxYMKHdwCC-YQ6AEIODAG#v=onepage&q=mulla%20nasrudin%20and%20the%20scholars%20hair%20in%20beard&f=false
>>
>>9943654
there's also the problem that similar themes appeal to people so you can see similarities where there probably aren't.

urashimi taro from japan and oisin from ireland for instance share a lot of similarities, but it's probably just rip van winkle stories appeal to a lot of cultures without contact.

based anon for delivering. fairy tale thread?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.