[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ i´m intrigued by philosophy and need a place to start.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

/lit/ i´m intrigued by philosophy and need a place to start. Also, is there a correct or better order to read the major works of philosophy ?
>>
>>9941706
Start with the presocratics, or just jump into Plato. If you start with Plato, start with Euthyphro, then, Apology, then Crito, then Meno then Phaedo, then Republic, then Symposium, then Phaedrus. If you want you can keep reading Plato or you can jump into Aristotle (Who's a bit dry, but still excellent).
>>
>>9941706
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
Start where ever you want and with whatever interests you. No biologist starts biology reading Aristotle and fitness doesn't have to begin with jogging before you can do running. Interest first. Linearity is bullshit. If you find something that inspires you to go to the presocratics, you'll do it.

Definitely don't listen to anyone here, myself included. We're illiterate. If we weren't, we'd be reading philosophy instead of being on the internet.
>>
>>9942147
>Why is your screen so bright?
>I'm looking for an honest man
>>
>>9942164
Fuck off dog man
>>
File: IMG_0687.gif (5KB, 279x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0687.gif
5KB, 279x300px
>>9941706
Unless you are engaging in applied philosophy, that is determining or elaborating the principle assumptions and the means and ends by and to which they are applied, you are wasting your time splashing about in the pseud-pool.

Concerning yourself with the metaphysics of matter/action/morality/determinism/etc. is for those who lack the aesthetic sensibility for art and the intellectual capability for science.

Do yourself a favor, read Joyce, study trigonometry, familiarize your self with the historiography of science. You'll be far better off for it in the long run.
>>
>>9942155
This. Find some topic that you're interested in. Read a generalist/introductory work, check for influences and read that work, then read the original work you're interested in. A lot of philosophy is in response to another's work so it's important to have some understanding of context.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.