[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the main reason that Dune from failed to build a fandom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: sandwormsschoenherr.jpg (209KB, 1600x1172px) Image search: [Google]
sandwormsschoenherr.jpg
209KB, 1600x1172px
What was the main reason that Dune from failed to build a fandom on the scale of Star Trek or Star Wars or Warhammer 40k?

The common opinion seems to be that the sequels ruined the possibilities, but my take is that the original novel, while amazing, was too totalizing.

Everything moved or stopped, live or died around Dune, one planet out of supposed millions, and its spice.

What are your thoughts, /lit/?
>>
>>9939303
Bunch of fantasy dorks fight over a wall and a dragon in a single Kingdom in Earth's latest dorky-fantasy fandom, so I don't see why DUNE being on just one planet, primarily, would have been the issue.
>>
>>9939303
Kill yourself
>>9939309
Kill yourself
>>
>>9939303
Likely because Dune has far less of a visual element to it than Star Treck, Star Wars or 40k. We could talk about how it's more challenging than any of those series as well (and less family friendly), but I definitely think it's the ease of consumption.

Star Wars/Trek can be shared and experienced episodically, and you can have it on in the background while doing other stuff. 40k does this slightly less, but it has the advantage of fitting into a niche of being collectible, which always helps build a fanbase, and that collectibility is helped by its strong aesthetic (whether or not you like it, it definitely has a 'look'). With Dune you have to either watch a film that doesn't get the story across to you, or you have to read a long book which doesn't even have any pictures to make memes out of.

There's also the merchandising aspect. It's hard to build a fanbase of that sort around Dune when you lack a billion bits of merch to ply kids with, before they even get into the series.
>>
>>9939303
Dune failed to be Star Wars/Trek because it wasn't a popular movie/TV show. It failed to be 40k because it wasn't a popular TV show.
It succeeded at being Dune.
>>
>>9939303
While it has its following, I think the book(s) touch much more philosophical themes thank ST, SW and specially W40K. I'm not saying it is some super 2deep5u book, but it isn't your average dumb space opera ala SW.

Also the other books (specially God-Emperor) are even superior to the original.

Also the fact that there are no clear "good/evil" sides as you progress in the series and those who could be perceived as "good" end up dying, becoming tyrants...
>>
>>9939484
>There's also the merchandising aspect. It's hard to build a fanbase of that sort around Dune when you lack a billion bits of merch to ply kids with, before they even get into the series.
This guy gets it. What you think of as a "fandom" is not a natural thing, it's a product of marketers. Literature has never had the pop culture pull of TV or movies. Harry Potter didn't blow up like it did until the movies.
>>
>>9939303
I believe the 'family friendly' aspect is a major factor. The themes are too mature to take your kids to. Violent, sexual, political. Not something you want to take junior to.
>>
>>9939484
And what little boy or girl wouldn't LOVE to have a plush sardaukar?
>>
>>9942254
>>9940811
I disagree. It's all a matter of marketing.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.