[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've gone through Wheelock's and Lingua Latina. It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1486262464637.gif (62KB, 800x670px) Image search: [Google]
1486262464637.gif
62KB, 800x670px
I've gone through Wheelock's and Lingua Latina. It took me months to go through Wheelock's, and I re-read the chapters in Lingua Latina multiple times. Now I can semi-comfortably read Seneca or Cicero, but i get hung up. Sentences themselves are for the most part easy to understand, but sometimes I'm lost in a paragraph or the general idea. Also, I find myself still translating into English in my head.

Tips?
>>
>>9935681
You should probably try lingua latina's sequel done by the same author. Forgot what it's called though.
>>
>>9935741
Roma Aeterna

It's like 50% longer than lingua latina, but apparently is a lot harder. Lots of people on amazon recommended reading some of the in-between, shorter books from the same series before moving to Aeterna. Unfortunately I got so bogged down in the (much more boring) in-between books that, even after doing really well going through Lingua Latina and a bunch of supplementary written work for like 6 months, I totally gave up and haven't touched latin since like February.

Feels fucking bad.
>>
>>9935787
Bumping this thread because I'm pretty much in the same situation. I made it through 3/4 of Wheelock and read through LLPSI twice but got burned out on instructional textbooks after that. I decided the only way to reinvigorate my passion for Latin is to familiarize myself with its literature, which was the original reason I decided to learn it. Just read indiscriminately, try the original first, get a feel for the pronunciation and quality of the work before figuring out exactly what it says then read it again to gain a better understanding and appreciation. I don't see a point in hammering through a structured course if your enthusiasm is lacking; better to rekindle your initial resolve and use that to foster a genuine appreciation for your hobby.
>>
>>9935787
>>9936405
I will also add that part of my unstructured binge includes anthologies. A Handbook of Latin Literature (Rose) and the Oxford Book of Latin Verse (Garrod) are top notch for their comprehensive selections and scholarly commentaries which hit the sweet spot between academic and passionate.
>>
Build vocabulary. Limit yourself to 30 words at a time, go through each list 3x and you should be able to move on to a new list of 30 words after a day or two. Having a big vocabulary will make reading pleasurable. You can use the word frequency tool on Perseus to create a vocab list of the most common words (in all their Latin works or just limited to one author or one book even) and then export the list to a flaschard program like StudyBlue or Quizlet. There are translations of popular books like The Hobbit and maybe Harry Potter (idk) into ancient Latin (The Hobbet = Hobbitus Ille) and that can be fun, maybe. But work on your vocab constantly, it's the #1 thing (along with practice reading of course) that will make you start enjoying the language
>>
>>9935681
I'm going through

http://www.linneyslatinclass.com/

then I plan on reading Caesar. Any experience with this? I live in a shitty country and town and there are no latin teachers around (in fact there are but they don't actually know the language beyond the basic grammar) so I have to do everything on my own.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.