[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Many people read Nietzsche as saying secular "victimhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Many people read Nietzsche as saying secular "victimhood as virtue" is derived from Christian "victimhood as virtue". Yet the two are very different, the former stems from savoring indignation, whereas the latter stems from extolling *willingness* to suffer for God (to such an extent that Ignatius of Antioch told his flock not to ask for his freedom, since they would be depriving him of a chance to suffer for God). Christianity sees victimhood as cause for celebration, and Chrysostom says to be thankful to those who wrong you. This clearly enormously different from the source of secular "victimhood as virtue"
>>
>>9935572
Interesting distinction. Do you think it has anything to do with belief in the afterlife, or lack thereof?
>>
>>9935572
>>9935572
I find it interesting that Gurdjieff, who grew up as a nominally Eastern Orthodox Christian, received an Eastern Orthodox funeral and burial at his request, and generally had some Eastern Orthodox leanings in the teachings he disseminated puts something very similar: namely, that taking other people's abuse in outward and inward calm is a chance to develop willpower in oneself. This is thus not at all anything like Nietzschean slave morality, but what Nietzsche would call master morality. Anger is seen as weakness (inability to control one's emotions) and the ability to realize that other people are asleep, are spiritually deficient and that their persecution need not anger is actual more strong and "masterly".
>>
>>9935594
It certainly has to do with belief in Christ's Resurrection. Paul says that if the Resurrection never happened then "we are, of all men, the most pitiable."

Does it have to do with belief in hell for evil people? No, Nietzsche does suggest contemplation of hell for sinners is a big draw, but he supports that with a fringe early Christian who ended up becoming heretical, and with Aquinas whose perspective is very late and based on the satisfaction theory of atonement
>>
>>9935618
Yes. But Orthodox Christianity is a lot different from Catholicism and Protestantism, and I highly doubt Nietszche knew anything about it
>>
what about aristote's ethics and macintyre
>>
C O S M I C

U

C

K

O

L

D

R

Y
>>
>>9935572
>victimhood
spook
>virtue
spook
>God
spook of all spooks

when will ya'll learn?
>>
>>9937602
Calling something a spook doesn't invalid its meaning or value, sorry
>>
>>9937662
really? what sort of meaning does it retain, exactly? emotional-psychological one? we're not a bunch of girls, are we?
>>
>>9937948
Let me elaborate further: labeling something a spook doesn't impair its reality
>>
>>9937602
Okay, so now tell us what isn't a spook, smartypants
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.