[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Joan Didion? Is her stuff worth reading? Where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Thoughts on Joan Didion? Is her stuff worth reading? Where should I start?
>>
>>9935168
Just read Palahniuk.
>>
>>9935214

Literally what

>>9935168

Didion is fantastic and, to me, underappreciated. She had an obvious influence on BEE (particularly with the fantastic and minimal Play It As It Lays). Her non-fiction is superb, too: I liked Slouching Towards Bethlehem and The White Album and then after those you can go to The Year of Magical Thinking
>>
File: Didion Stingray.jpg (263KB, 1083x763px) Image search: [Google]
Didion Stingray.jpg
263KB, 1083x763px
The two characteristics that really distinguish Didion are her wit and her uncanny observation. She writes concise, beautiful non-fiction, and perspicacious fiction (though I personally far prefer the former). Anon already mentioned Sloudhing Toward Bethlehem. If that doesn't get you into her, I would not recommend continuing. If you enjoy StB, give After Henry a go. That is her best essay collection, in my opinion. If you want to read some of her essays standalone in order to sample her writing and determine if you want to continue, "On Keeping a Journal", "On Self-Respect", "Where I Was From" (a reflection on growing up in and being shaped by California), and "In The Realm of the Fisher King" (a takedown of the Reagan administration) are great pieces with which to begin.

For her fiction, "Run, River" is as good as any.

Happy reading.
>>
>>9935168
Slouching Towards Bethlehem was a great collection of essays
>>
File: 1502423761657.jpg (5KB, 250x174px)
1502423761657.jpg
5KB, 250x174px
>female writer
>>
The essays are all top notch, start with Slouching. Her fiction is amateurish.
>>
>>9935168
>asks an anime image board whether an author's work is "worth reading" instead of coming to own conclusions by oneself
Jesus. This forum is full of slightly evolved sheeple masquerading as enlightened intellectuals.
>>
She is a goddess. Start with slouching towards Bethlehem.
>>
>>9935460
Second (first?) wave "feminists" (those whom now are above 60) are fucking great.
Paglia's post 2000 stuff is great too.
>>
>>9936897
wew
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.