[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading Thomas Carlyle's Heroes and Hero Worship.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: tommycar.jpg (17KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
tommycar.jpg
17KB, 220x301px
I'm reading Thomas Carlyle's Heroes and Hero Worship.

In Lecture 5, Hero as Man of Letters, Carlyle writes, "The Hero is he who lives in the inward sphere of things, in the True, Divine, and Eternal, which exists always, unseen to most, under the Temporary, Trivial : his being is in that; he declares that abroad, by act or speech as it may be, in declaring himself abroad."

What the fuck did he mean by this? The first part is straightforward, the Hero taps into some eternal spring of being that lends him strength to become a Hero. But, what is this 'being abroad by being abroad' bit? What the fuck was Carlyle saying?
>>
>>9933915
He means that the hero follows and acts in accordance with logos (beauty, truth, logics, emotion, order, knowledge) regardless of personal costs. It's a pretty christian thing to think. But ironically also reminiscent of Socrates's death, or Odin hanging himself from a tree to gain insight.
>>
>>9933961
Oh, and the being abroad part is about living it up to it, street cred, being good not for fame's sake.
>>
>>9933970
Let me wrap my head around this.

"He declares that abroad" = Acting out ideals, not simply paying lip-service to ideals?

As in, Socrates owes everything to Athens and will do anything to serve it, even if it means letting Athens put him to death. Action to back up ideals, even if it leads to your detriment?
>>
>>9933997
Yes exactly, and not even caring if anyone discovers his self-sacrifice in pursuit of those ideals.
>>
>>9934001
Also: superficially it means that this hero doesn't go about saying he's a hero. He'll try to come off as a normal guy (abroad from the ideal).
>>
>>9934001
>>9934007

Thanks, this helped. I felt abroad was a strange word choice until you explained it this way.
>>
>>9934042
There's something else in there as well, about being an example to other people who are abroad out here in the normal world without being preachy about it, acting on their level of understanding.
I really think that sentence is now exhausted. Glad I could help.
>>
>>9933970
>grasshopper
>gras shopper
cf. pate de fois gras

>abroad
>a broad
kek

>oh, wait a minute. that thread died yester- or two days ago whereas this one like the ghost of x-mas present has a few hours yet to live. [we] [all of us] meet the Future ghost when if we're lucky [we] die 'in spirit' first i.e. before [we] die in fact.
>>
File: eyepoppingmongoloid.png (1MB, 856x894px) Image search: [Google]
eyepoppingmongoloid.png
1MB, 856x894px
>>9934169
>>
>>9933915
Makes me think of Jesus' saying that no man can be a prophet in his home town. Perhaps the final phrasing is for emphasis. Abroad where who one was cannot be confounded for who one is. Just a paltry guess.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.