[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /lit/ I don't come here often but I'm really into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (13KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 189x267px
So /lit/ I don't come here often but I'm really into film noir but I also got interested into the books these movies are based on.
So can you reccomend me some nice detective novels?
>>
Can't go wrong with Chandler. The Maltese Falcon is a pretty good book as well. Black Wings Have My Baby is in my to-read pile which is such a bitching title. The Friends of Eddie Coyle was fabulous, but that's more in the vein of gangster fiction. The movie based on the book is A+.
>>
>>9933476
I didn't like the movie of the maltese falcon t.bh.
But I'll check out Chandler thanks anon.
>>
>>9933470
>>9933476
>Can't go wrong with Chandler.
The correct answer is Dashiel Hammet
>>
>>9934305

Nope, Chandler was greater. He was a great poet who worked in the crime fiction genre.

His style deserved much more praise than it gets. It reminds me of Nabokov’s Lolita: the same poetry and the same humor, page after page.

>“He looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food.”

>“She smelled the way the Taj Mahal looks by moonlight.”

>"I was as hollow and empty as the spaces between the stars."

>"The white moonlight was cold and clear, like the justice we dream of but don't find."

>"He had a face like a collapsed lung."

>“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”

>"I belonged in Idle Valley like a pearl onion on a banana split."

>“From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.”

>“The streets were dark with something more than night.”

>“The girl slept on, motionless, in that curled-up looseness achieved by some women and all cats.”

>"She's a charming middle age lady with a face like a bucket of mud... "

>“Dead men are heavier than broken hearts.”

>“She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket.”

>"To say she had a face that would stopped a clock would have been to insult her. It would have stopped a runaway horse."

>“I’m an occasional drinker, the kind of guy who goes out for a beer and wakes up in Singapore with a full beard.”
>“Some days I feel like playing it smooth. Some days I feel like playing it like a waffle iron.”

>“He had a battered face that looked as if it had been hit by everything but the bucket of a dragline.”

>“Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl’s clothes off.”

>“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

>“When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.”

>“A city [Los Angeles] with all the personality of a paper cup.”

>“I felt like an amputated leg.”

>“On the dance floor half a dozen couples were throwing themselves around with the reckless abandon of a night watchman with arthritis.”
>>
>>9934338

>“His smile was as stiff as a frozen fish.”

>“Please don’t get up,’ she said in a voice like the stuff they use to line summer clouds with.”

>“The detective must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man.”

>“She was as cute as a washtub.”

>“The kid’s face had as much expression as a cut of round steak and was about the same color.”

>“The voice got as cool as a cafeteria dinner.”

>“I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn’t care who knew it.”

>“The corridor which led to it had a smell of old carpet and furniture oil and the drab anonymity of a thousand shabby lives.”

>"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."
>>
>>9933470

>C. Auguste Dupin

Everyone seems to forget Poe wrote some badass detective stories (that had a great influence on the French, including Simenon)
>>
>>9934338
>>9934349

The boat scene from Farewell My Lovely and the "You're not human tonight Marlowe" monologue from The Long Goodbye were some real shit.
>>
>>9935708

It's from The Little Sister not The Long Goodbye.
>>
>>9934338
>>9934349

god, reading this made me realize what my writing is missing. I'm writing noir-era fiction I need to get my chandler going
>>
File: black wings.jpg (317KB, 1047x1600px) Image search: [Google]
black wings.jpg
317KB, 1047x1600px
>>9933476
>Black Wings Have My Baby is in my to-read pile which is such a bitching title.

You mean Black Wings Has My Angel? It is very good. Funny to see it published by NYRB now though, considering its inauspicious beginnings.
>>
I've been reading the Bernie Gunther novels. A noir detective series about a investigator in the Third Reich and post nazi germany.

it's very good.
>>
>>9934305
>>9934338

Hammett's a better plotter, but Chandler has writing that really sticks in the memory. I need to re-read the Marlowe series sometime, though this time around I think I'd skip Playback. It's not terrible (there's piles of worse private eye novels) but it doesn't have the zing that the other books have.
>>
>>9936485
Yeah, I found it on Goodreads. Never heard of it before. It's got good reviews and the title is fucking lit so it's coming up for me because of that
>>
>>9933470

bump
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.