[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this the last time DeLillo ever tried to be funny? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 91vWoLBq6VL.jpg (702KB, 1423x2129px) Image search: [Google]
91vWoLBq6VL.jpg
702KB, 1423x2129px
Was this the last time DeLillo ever tried to be funny? I've only read this and, afterwords, Underworld which was pretty dry and serious. From what I know of like Libra and Americana they aren't very comical, while I thought the humor of White Noise was one reason to like it so much.
>>
>>9931665
He tried to be funny with End Zone.
Meh.
Some of the Lenny Bruce stuff in Underworld maybe. And the Waste Management guys drunkenly headbutting each other
>>
I haven't read all his stuff but it definitely seems like White Noise is the cutoff. Ratner's Star is very goofy and funny if you're looking for that
>>
>>9931665
PEN: In an interview this past March, you noted that your shift, over the last decade, toward shorter novels had been informed by re-reading several slim but seminal European works of fiction, including Albert Camus’s The Stranger, Peter Handke’s The Goalie’s Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, and Max Frisch’s Man in the Holocene. Can you talk a little about the evolution of your work and influences?

DeLillo: A novel determines its own size and shape and I’ve never tried to stretch an idea beyond the frame and structure it seemed to require. (Underworld wanted to be big and I didn’t attempt to stand in the way.) The theme that seems to have evolved in my work during the past decade concerns time—time and loss. This was not a plan; the novels have simply tended to edge in that direction. Some years ago I had the briefest of exchanges with a professor of philosophy. I raised the subject of time. He said simply, “Time is too difficult.” Yes, time is a mystery and perhaps best examined (or experienced by my characters) in a concise and somewhat enigmatic manner. Next book may be a monster. (Or just a collection of short stories.)

also please note he lost family and friends in 9/11
I'd be depressed too
>>
>>9932463
yeah, but he's been a dirge since the mid eighties
>>
>>9932463
hmm, adds context. I love DeLillo, I just thought humor was noticeably more understated, if there at all, outside of White Noise.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.