[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ newfag here, Ulysses is my goal. Is there a flow chart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (63KB, 585x750px)
JoyceUlysses2.jpg
63KB, 585x750px
/lit/ newfag here, Ulysses is my goal.

Is there a flow chart or recommended list of specific books I should read so that I'm not completely fucking lost while reading this?
>>
>>9931430
read his earlier works and then read this slowly,
anything besides this or endless prep-texts is ultimately not a big deal.
>>
>>9931430
Lmao just read it first. It will help to know the layout of the book. And it will probably mow you down. From there you can decide if you want to go deeper. Don't worry about catching everything—you can't possibly & there are still things scholars don't know what Joyce meant.
>>
File: joyce.jpg (171KB, 1500x1348px)
joyce.jpg
171KB, 1500x1348px
The entire Western canon ideally. If you're short on time, the Iliad, Odyssey, Shakespeare, history of Ireland, and then this
>>
>>9931433
This. Joyce follows a clear progression throughout his works. Also listen to Frank Delaney's Re:Joyce podcast for a deeper understanding of Ulysses.
>>
>>9931433
this is a pleb ruse. If you want to truly understand Joyce you need to have read and comprehended at the very least the Bible, Clive James's translation of the Divine Comedy, the Metamorphoses, Franco of Cologne's Ars Cantus Mensurabilis, the second half of À la recherche du temps perdu, and books 3-6 of Harry Potter.
>>
>>9931430
Barebones is his earlier works, a Catholic Bible and The Odyssey. Knowing what a Jesuit would have been taught at the time would be very helpful, and he drew a lot of influence from Aquinas. Honestly he knew and used such a breadth of texts that it goes deeper and deeper the more you think of it.
>>
People will suggest you hundreds of books.

Just read Portrait of An Artist first (you'll like it) and then Ulysses. It's really not a big deal.
>>
>>9931448
don't forget to read his poetry yo
>>
>>9931501
His poetry is shit.
>>
>>9931501
His poetry was him giving up (he should have stuck with it until he was good, but he took the easy way until FW)
>>
>>9931448
I'm imagining that stupid expanding brain meme with this.
>>
>>9931430
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Get a copy of the book, and then open up:
http://m.joyceproject.com/chapters/telem.html
or
http://www.joyceproject.com/ (I prefer the latter when on a non-mobile source, since the annotations lead to nice little dialog pop-ups)
>>
>>9931430
Just read Joyce chronologically. Dubliners, then Portrait, then this.
Take Ulysses one chapter at a time, recognising that every chapter is its own thing, and that they get progressively longer and more difficult.
Above all, have fun. It's a fun as fuck book and not as difficult as it's made out to be.
>>
>>9931466
>and books 3-6 of Harry Potter
I laughed a lot louder then I should have at this.
>>
>>9931493
reading Ulysses right now but skipped Portrait... all I read was Dubliners. Oh well, eventually I'll read Portrait and then I'll probably reread Ulysses.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.