[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you guys ever thought about limiting your reading to a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: The Rape - Edgar Degas.jpg (157KB, 1500x1047px) Image search: [Google]
The Rape - Edgar Degas.jpg
157KB, 1500x1047px
Any of you guys ever thought about limiting your reading to a few specific authors and works that you would read and reread over and over in order to improve your writing?
I’m considering doing this semi-permanently. I’ve read a shit ton of books, especially over the last three or so years, but I’ve also realized it would probably take a lifetime for me to read every single classic even one time through, and that saddens me.
This is my list of books I feel would be worth repeated reading and internalizing over the long term. Is it a good idea? What would your list look like?

>Homer – The Iliad and The Odyssey
>Virgil – Aeneid
>Ovid – Metamorphoses
>Giovanni Boccaccio – The Decameron
>Complete Shakespeare
>King James Bible
>Miguel de Cervantes – Don Quixote
>Robert Burton – The Anatomy of Melancholy
>John Milton – Paradise Lost
>Laurence Stern – The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy
>Victor Hugo – Les Misérables and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
>Herman Melville – Moby Dick; or, The Whale
>George Eliot – Middlemarch
>Fyodor Dostoyevsky – Notes from Underground, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, Demons, and The Brothers Karamazov
>Leo Tolstoy – War and Peace and Anna Karenina
>Marcel Proust – In Search of Lost Time
>James Joyce – Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and Ulysses
>>
>>9931340
>Any of you guys ever thought about limiting your reading to a few specific authors and works that you would read and reread over and over in order to improve your writing?
no

>posting women and gay jews
kill yourself
>>
those are classic books and all, but you probably won't sell much by picking up their habits. That isn't what sells, aka it isn't what normies want. Read some Pynchon or Stephen King or some shit like that, not the ancient works people study for school.
>>
>>9931360
>literally one woman
>>
>>9931340
I have been doing this for three years and coupled with writing regularly it has improved my writing tremendously. My list of authors I return to if different than yours,with some overlap of course (and a little shorter). But yeah, I would say go for it.
>>
>>9931379
One too many, libcuck
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.