[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Svidrigailov use the term "Travel to America"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: crime and punishment.jpg (403KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
crime and punishment.jpg
403KB, 800x1131px
Why did Svidrigailov use the term "Travel to America" as a way to say commiting suicide?
>>
i don't know, why?
>>
>>9929452

To Svidrigail to the other side!
>>
>>9929454

It uh....sounds way funnier in the original russian. sry.
>>
>>9929451
that's an ugly fucking cover
>>
File: 1483754952945.jpg (331KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
1483754952945.jpg
331KB, 753x707px
>>9929452
>>9929454
>>9929460
>>
>>9929451
Because obviously suicide is shameful and depressing so its what family would say when people ask where the person suddenly went
>>
>>9929486
But he killed himself on the street in front of a witness, everybody'll know what happened. Also Svidrigailov didn't had any family he mentioned he cared about.
>>
>>9929492
Yeah I know, I'm saying its slang, euphemism
>>
>>9929518
it's what the cool hip kids say, I get it.
>>
>>9929451
I thought it was a commentary on the pervasiveness of western ideals in Russia. With a move to America being the ultimate revocation of Russian life
>>
>>9929451
Isn't "go far away" a stock metaphor for death?
>>
>>9929451
Ummm...
Isn't this a line from Hamsun's Circle?
I mean On owergrown paths...
>>
>>9929670
This desu, I think people interpret way too much into it. It's like "I gotta catch a train", same thing with "I'm travelling to America" or any other faraway land. It means you're going and never come back.
>>
>>9929719
‘I am going to a foreign land, brother.’
‘To a foreign land?’
‘To America.’
‘America...’
Svidrigaïlov took out the revolver and cocked it. Achilles raised his eyebrows.
‘I say, this is not the place for such jokes!’
‘Why shouldn’t it be the place?’
‘Because it isn’t.’
‘Well, brother, I don’t mind that. It’s a good place. When you are asked, you just say he was going, he said, to America.’
He put the revolver to his right temple.
‘You can’t do it here, it’s not the place,’ cried Achilles, rousing himself, his eyes growing bigger and bigger. Svidrigaïlov pulled the trigger.
>>
>>9929733
Knut wrote a similar thing, although in monologue. Probably was influenced...
>something along the lines: it is time to go now, to go far away; to America
He doesn't say it explicitely, but he had a gun, and no money
>>
Because he knew he was going to hell
>>
File: IMG_5301.jpg (101KB, 419x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5301.jpg
101KB, 419x401px
>>9929776
>>
>>9929776
IIRC Svidrigailov wasn't religious.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.