[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's all just admit it -- literature is dead, or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Let's all just admit it -- literature is dead, or at least is on its way out. Technology has ruined the attention span of an entire generation. Other art forms, like film or music, are much more entertaining, gripping, and impactful (to this modern world) than literature could ever hope to be. Postmodern philosophy has thrown the process of interpretation into extreme confusion. The linguistic turn has threatened the very basis of communication that literature depends on. Literature is becoming more and more of a niche activity, and although literacy rates are at an all time high, the rate of people reading literature is plummeting, and shows no signs of stopping. I have immense respect for writers, even one's writing today, but I can't help but think that it's not a meme -- that literature will be replaced. Unless a miracle occurs, unless a Luddite revolution of global proportions occurs, the trends of the present will only grow worse, and the "literary" audience and the number of writers as well will dwindle. The written word will live on, but the current form of literature needs to be revamped or replaced. No one will care about the struggle for artistic purity and perfection: the herculean effort of these artists will go unnoticed, and will lose much of its sense of purpose. The writers of the future will be increasingly shouting into an voiceless void, their artistic ambition dying in a solitary and impotent whine.
>>
*tips arse talking*
>>
>>9928957
How many works of literature were written from the 3rd century to the 13th? Probably less than how many were written in the last 10 years. And yet the desire to create and witness literature never died and neither did the classics from the ancient times. Yes, maybe literature is becoming out of fashion but it is terribly edgy to say it is dead.
>>
>>9928957
Keep crying nerd lol
>>
>>9928957
fuck off with your apocalypse complexes
>>
>>9928957
It's simple. If Shakespeare was born today, he'd be a screenwriter. Writers who knows what's the deal are moving to visual medias: game screenwriters, comic screenwriters, movie screenwriters et al. Literature sure is dead, but storytelling isn't.
>>
>>9928957
As a writer of 3 books no one will read, I agree. Question is...why do us writers SWEAR we're gonna quit cold turkey, give the whole thing up...and then start another novel we know will be ignored like all our others?
>>
>>9929290
This is the post of someone who hasn't read Shakespeare since high school
>>
>>9929503
He did write terrible plot and had beautiful wordplay.

I think, more in line with OP, he'd be a failed writer today.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.