[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start making an original world in which to write a story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: worldbuilding map.jpg (1MB, 1554x1662px) Image search: [Google]
worldbuilding map.jpg
1MB, 1554x1662px
>start making an original world in which to write a story
>realize I've made two continents separated by an easily navigable sea
>realize I've made a massive undead army which threatens the world
>realize I've made an a rebel wizard who opposes the old order
>realize I've made a mountain-dwelling race of short people
>realize I've made a magic-savvy, intellectual race of dainty, slim people
>realize I've made a brutish, belligerent horde of muscular savages out to conquer more land for themselves

How the FUCK do you come up with original ideas? Everything I think of has already been done.
>>
>>9925723
>How the FUCK do you come up with original ideas? Everything I think of has already been done.

its simply really. firstly you need to understand that all of the ideas are come from are destined to be repeated much like history. and quite so as it is the continent exploration and Japanese hermits chanting the lotus supra. times not unlike the present will reconcile you with the sad fate that your work is not original but there is a problem. and that is this: if you look at all the other work you you will realize it is only as unique as you permit it to be. so for instance if you wish to name a character don't, it is who the reader will think of it is in his imagination, then if that is unoriginal it is not your fault.
>>
If you can't come up with original ideas, just turn them on their heads:

>the two continents are so far apart only few can travel between them, but both continents are still important to the story
>the undead are actually the good guys
>the old order was actually established to protect the world against a greater evil (and not the undead, btw); your rebel wizard is knowingly or unknowingly being used by this greater evil
>make your dwarves scholarly but stubborn, and live above ground
>make your elves the dumb savages, who wield magic but are unable to control it well (leading to chaos when they attempt to use it)
>your pseudo-orcs are not mindless conquerors, but are just migrating because they're escaping an even greater evil (see point about the old order)
>>
>>9925723
what the fuck happened to the black sea
>>
File: tumblr_mp49oyvuVK1qj40bmo1_1280.jpg (108KB, 800x650px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp49oyvuVK1qj40bmo1_1280.jpg
108KB, 800x650px
okay, but seriously, who gives a fuck about originality? massive undead armies and barbaric hordes and dainty slim people sell fucking copies year after year. because people just like to see that shit.

originality is overrated. personally i'd recommend just going for technique. i don't care if the idea is cliche, show me one cool border war between orcs and elves with good characterization and some fun set pieces or whatever and i'll fork over $12.99 or whatever the fuck. there's no need to reinvent the wheel in fantasy if you don't have to. tropes are tropes, let them do their magic.

idk senpai. just work with what you like to see on the page. if it's elves gonna elf and orcs gonna orc, whatever, it's all good. if you like it, we will too.
>>
File: 1448181741519.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1448181741519.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>middle east
>location of evil hordes wanting to conquer the realm
>mfw
>>
File: orcs_28.jpg (725KB, 1024x1404px) Image search: [Google]
orcs_28.jpg
725KB, 1024x1404px
>>9925723
Fuck the elves
>>
>>9925723
Go to /tg/ and participate in worldbuilding threads. There are tons of them posted each day.
>>
>>9925723

>Two continents separated by two easily navigable seas with one very difficult to navigate continent in the middle
>A massive dead army which is not a threat because they're just dead, nevertheless they play a major part in the plot
>A conformist wizard who uses the privilege of his rank in the old order for financial gain and comfort
>Dwarves that live on vast plains in underground colonies like prairie dogs
>A magic-savvy, intellectual race of absolute hambeasts who use magic for absolutely everything and never need to use their bodies for movement beyond pleasure and eating
>A brutish, belligerent horde of muscular savages out to conquer more land for themselves, except they're all ten foot tall /fit/ QT girls who can only reproduce by raping men of other races and keep an ever-expanding train of fluid-starved sex slaves
>>
OP try this http://www.zompist.com/pck.html
You can probably pirate it somewhere.

>>9925875
Something weird's going on with France & Spain too.
>>
>>9925743
Please don't return to this board until you have learned proper English and capitalization.
>>
>>9925875
also iceland is backward
>>
Make every race be racist assholes killing each other. Dwarves use goblins as slave-labour, elves are immortal because they sacrifice virgins every day etc. Then the main character is a ruthless stalinist accelerating the industrial revolution and destroying all the medievalism.
>>
>>9925723
hahahahahahahaha
you almost got me for a sec.
>>
>>9925723
>tfw so dumb the image actually fooled me
>>
File: plates-elevation.png (342KB, 1446x1210px) Image search: [Google]
plates-elevation.png
342KB, 1446x1210px
If you're actually interested in creating fictional worlds, /tg/ has a pretty active worldbuilding general.
>>
>>9927105
If that's supposed to be a worldmap it will all be a desert because there's not enough water
>>
>>9925723
>i bet the evil civilization who wants to conquer the world and destroy civilization as we know it lives here

lol
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.