[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The cultural work done in the past by gods and epic sagas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: download (14).jpg (11KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
download (14).jpg
11KB, 184x274px
>The cultural work done in the past by gods and epic sagas is now done by laundry-detergent commercials and comic-strip characters.

Thoughts?
>>
>>9923602
I'm thinking of buying this.
>>
why is that cover orange my cover is green
>>
>>9923602

Momma's boy Barthes got worked by the French wrestling scene.
>>
>>9923602

Yes, we have clearly not extinguished the use of allegory and myth. But the link on that particular quote seems pretty weak to me. Or, at least, the ontology portrayed by comic-strips and commercials is very weak compared to a saga. Is Barthes somehow implying our culture has developed into short bursts of less meaning or is that quote just not enough without the context?
>>
I always thought his name was John?
>>
>>9923647
Roland Barthes, John Barth, Donald Barthelme, and Frederick Barthelme are all different authors with similar names
>>
>>9923651
those are pseudonyms I have heard from my literary friends
>>
It reeks of "we're all slaves to the man" blather, but there's a sliver of truth to it. We used to be united by our stories/culture, but the rise of industrialization has allowed us to share our stories/culture with everyone. Now we align ourselves ideologically, and for many that includes what clothes we buy, what food we eat, how we spend our time, which all come back to the corporations that enable those desires.
>>
>>9923651
Let's not forget ol' 20th c theologian Karl Barth in that ghoulish mix or 'goulash' mateys....
>>
>>9923640
The latter I think obviously. For some reason Walter Benjamin's fabulous essay on Nikolai Leskov and the Death of Storytelling comes to mind.
>>
>>9923602
Mythologies is a cool book. My copy has a bunch of marginalia notes by a guy who was dyslexic, and underlined random uninteresting sentences.

But yeah, the quote you grabbed, it's spot on. I read a psychology article one time that talked about how our brains can only handle a small group of known individuals. Many of these 'slots' are taken up by friends, family, co-workers, but many are taken up with celebrities, spokesmen, cartoon characters. In the past, a man might have mused about Zeus or Jesus, today we think about Trump and Harry Potter. They are our demigods (among others).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.