[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to get fitter/healthier. What are some books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: O_OscarDelPozo_Mishima_1[1].jpg (319KB, 1202x1600px) Image search: [Google]
O_OscarDelPozo_Mishima_1[1].jpg
319KB, 1202x1600px
I'm looking to get fitter/healthier.

What are some books that encourage/can motivate a more physically active lifestyle?

I currently have:

>Sun and Steel by Yukio Mishima
>What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

I'm particularly interested in recommendations that have personally worked in this regard.
>>
The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius are great for discipline.
>>
>>9922890
Read stuff that changes your mindset towards work/competition/your projects/hobbies. Don't rely on motivation. Motivation is a like a slut; she'll come and go when she wants; rely on discipline.

>>9923080
This anon already brought up a good one
I also recommend Musashi the book of five rings.
>>
Unironically Infinite Jest
>>
File: vangoghshoes.jpg (138KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
vangoghshoes.jpg
138KB, 500x427px
>>9922890
Don't go to the gym or do sports
At the most calisthenics
Learn a trade/outdoor skill
Don't make the same mistake I did
Read Walden, annotate it, keep it by your breast at all times
>>
Has anybody read Bruce Lee's The Art of Expressing the Human Body? I've had it for a few years but have always put off reading it
>>
>>9923166
>Don't make the same mistake I did
???
>>
>>9923177
>Bruce Lee's The Art of Expressing the Human Body?
>Bruce Lee

Don't
He's not a good writer or philosopher, and not even a great martial artist
>>
Don't read about this shit. Just make an effort to exercise 5/7 days of the week. Read the philosophy behind it afterwards. Exercise is all about establishing habit and working it into your schedule. When starting to exercise the philosophy will just bog you down.
>>
>>9923166
And why is it a mistake? I practice a marial art and lift. With the sole reason, because I enjoy it. Well I started lifting out of vanity, but the reason to lift changed by time.

>>9923177
Just read the art of war and the Tao Te Ching and you'll come t the same conclusions as bruce lee.
>>
>>9923188

You're just begging for attention aren't you, poor thing..
>>
>>9923171
Ah, yes... Thoreau's daunting monologue about the importance of having sex with teenage girls before it seems creepy.
>>
>>9923207
>practice a marial art and lift.
I did to friend, and what do you get for it? Skill at unarmed combat? Is that worth 10hrs a week?
Not to mention the occular damage from striking and disc damage from grappling
They aren't long term, they're one dimensional skills that fade with your body
Outdoor skills + calisthenics for health
>>
File: e20.png (75KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e20.png
75KB, 600x600px
>>9923212
You aren't afraid of a little dialectic are you?
>>
>>9923237
Who cares? I just enjoy it. On long term you should avoid compeition and training that leads to it, though. We live in rather peaceful times so the combat element isn't that important. Let's say it's more meditation with some cardio/coordination/balance-practice for me. I do mostly Kata and Kihon Renshus from Karate. At the end every skillfades with the body. I'm strictly believe that keeping your body fit is an essential way to keep your mind fit, too. If it's something you enjoy the better.
>>
>>9922890
sun and steel owns. it encouraged me to redirect all of my contempt toward big-bellied nerds and all of my energy toward lifting. unfortunately i'm still the former despite my best efforts at the latter and now my self-loathing has kicked into maximum overdrive, but yeah, good book.
>>
>>9923166
Varg pls go
>>
>>9922890
My diary.
>>
>>9923212
how's it called
>>
>>9923278
Interesting.
>>
>>9923538
who?
>>
>>9922890
Seems counterintuitive but Chuang Tsu or other Taoist shit.

But really, use beats, preferably hard core rap and strive for a masochistic mindset at the gym.
>>
What I talk about when I talk about running
>>
File: 1407830789827.jpg (297KB, 970x582px) Image search: [Google]
1407830789827.jpg
297KB, 970x582px
>>9928873
>>
>>9928882
Made me want to go running, and I did
>>
>>9922890
Why do you need books? just go for a run nigger.
>>
>>9928884
he is probably reacting with incredulity because op mentioned that book in the op already
>>
>>9928941
HOLY shit I'm dense
>>
Someone should make a definitive /fitlit/ chart.
>>
File: lit fit.jpg (2MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
lit fit.jpg
2MB, 4961x3508px
>>9922890
>>9929197
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.