[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me the books I need to read to start getting into occultism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: DarkMagicCurtain-JP-Anime-DM-NC.png (393KB, 624x467px) Image search: [Google]
DarkMagicCurtain-JP-Anime-DM-NC.png
393KB, 624x467px
Tell me the books I need to read to start getting into occultism and stuff.
I wanna be the next grand mage.
>>
If you're into occultism you need to read the religious texts of the past.
So sumerian, egyptian, chinese, jewish, roman, greek, european, etc.
I'd recommend starting with the sumerians though.
>>
>>9920981
Oh, stuff like "The Book of the Dead" from the egypetians right? Yeah I can do that.
Will try finding some summerians then.
>>
>>9920991
Nah frankly the book of the dead is too advanced and you might give up on getting a proper grounding in the knowledge of the ancients if you start with it.
The sumerian texts are far better imo.
>>
File: 1463466334664.jpg (249KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463466334664.jpg
249KB, 1920x1080px
I-I know I am kind of abusing of everyone, but, if I could have a flow chart, I would be a very happy trap, desu
>>
>>9920996
Okay, thx anon, will try.
>>
File: a.gif (437KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
437KB, 400x227px
>>9920998
A-are you a sexy trap?
>>
>>9921005
Not as much as I wanted but my gf likes so I dont realy care
>>
File: AOS.jpg (217KB, 736x1096px) Image search: [Google]
AOS.jpg
217KB, 736x1096px
Nobody else will tell you about Austin Osman Spare - but he was an incredible english artist and occultist. Look up his stuff in the hermetic library.

from "The Focus of Life"
>Aphorism III
>"The Chaos of the Normal"
>I would counsel closed ears, for those who contain the great Ideas, have no opinions. Who doth know what his own subconsciousness contains? Still less his own Arcana. They are the great who allow its operation by silence. Of two things we have choice: degeneration or immobility. Out of the past cometh this new thing. Becoming heaven's slaves - is some of pleasure begged again? Man strives for increase, - the monstrous world of vague and mad Ideas is incarnating. Come back, your goal is jail! Turn about and you arrive ….. This maddest of worlds. Daily is pleasure limited by the necessity of cheapened facilities. Onwards and ever more weary - till sleep - then backwards. There is nothing conceivable that does not exist, because the vision is feeble. In keeping the right distance from Things, is Safety. But how much should we gain? Experience is ignorance. The necessity of reoccurrence. One thing is certain: we are subject to our own moral laws, whether we are or are not aware of them. The desire determines, and no later belief shall alter it one whit. The highest creations are those that harmonize the most incongruous things. Art is the truth we have realized of our belief. The great human factor in Life is deceit: Always the greater deceiver-self? The wrath is revealed against all that hold the truth in righteousness. Still are those shallownesses, who could know they hide a universe? And tell me, what is it the obvious does not contain? Know much of life! Should death give you its secret? Self suggestion - to will, this is the great teacher: not dogma.
>>
>>9921030
You are so kind anon. I gonna look for it.
Although other anon said for me to S T A R T W I T H T H E S U M M E R I A N S I dont realy follow these "start with" things. I usualy read it things without any order and I think so far is the best way to read.
I dont recall my first philosophy book, but I dont think it was the greeks.
But I will check it, I was already curious to check hermeticism, you just gave me another reason to put my lazy ass to work

>tfw instead of reading books 4 college you are reading occult shit
>>
File: deathposture.jpg (149KB, 310x628px) Image search: [Google]
deathposture.jpg
149KB, 310x628px
>>9921064
his general advice is good
you basically want to read religious texts. doing that will give you a good mental grounding in the kind of language used in occult texts. It will also put you in a proper headspace and allow you to understand a lot of the esoteric references that occult authors constantly make.
It's kind of a douche move to just tell someone to read the bible, so i'll recommend the Book of Job specifically as a beautifully written and extremely useful text.
The upanishads and the rig veda are both great works of philosophy that will help you access the occult mindset. Probably though before you dive headlong into massive tomes of hindu philosophy you should read the Bhagavad Gita as an introduction.
From the far east the Dao de Jing and Zhuangzi are indispensable. They are best read one after the other in the order i mentioned them.

However, above all, the absolute most important thing if you want to really get into this stuff is to practice it in real life. After you've read the books and have all the theoretical grounding in your head you need to put it into action by way of meditation or yoga or ritual magic.

for meditation one of the best books I've read is Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB

The Experience of No-Self: A Contemplative Journey by Bernadette Roberts is a fascinating little account of a christian contemplative's experience with meditation

The Bhagavad Gita will go over yoga in some depth, but I also really enjoy Aleister Crowley's "Eight Lectures on Yoga" and personally believe it to be his greatest literary achievement.
http://deoxy.org/annex/8yoga0.htm

Austin Osman Spare had his own unique brand of occult practice - he was basically the inventor of the sigil in it's modern usage; however his practice was quite a bit more hardcore than the contemporary "make a symbol and smear it all over the internet" model. He would condense some occult meaning or purpose into a point in his sigils, then hold that sigil with fixed intensely in his mind while simultaneously twisting his body into a torturous position which was then held until his body collapsed from exhaustion - a technique he called the "death posture"
>>
>>9920960
If you intend to LARP your ass around with a casual attitude to these fairly serious matters, you're better off getting yourself a copy of Don Quixote and learn your lesson therefrom.

With that said, these books should give you a good start and will drop more than enough names to further chew on.

>Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed, Wouter J. Hanegraaff

An academic study of Esotericism from Late Antiquity to the Occult Revival of the 19th century. This will give you an excellent historical bird's eye view, something newcomers seriously neglect. Moreover, it will prevent you from an overdose of bullshit that is so rampant in a field prone to tall tales of heavy romantization.

>Eros and Magic in the Renaissance, Ioan P. Couliano

An academic study of the neglected role of Eros in Western magic. It profoundly explores the framework laid by the Pre-Socratic philosophers and how it came to culminate in the Platonic revival of the Renaissance, with the magic of Giordano Bruno in particular.

>The Theosophical Enlightenment, Joscelyn Godwin

An academic study of the role of Magnetism in the Occult Revival of the 19th century. Essential reading if you plan to study any form of occultism from the last three centuries.

Religious studies - be they Asian, Abrahamic or Pagan - are fine and well, inspiring even, but they don't deal with the metaphysical framework surrounding it's practical application.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.