[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a discussion about Idealism? Preferably an explanation,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Kant_gemaelde_3.jpg (13KB, 220x287px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Kant_gemaelde_3.jpg
13KB, 220x287px
Can we have a discussion about Idealism? Preferably an explanation, as I'm not entirely sure what it's about.
>>
Can someone give me a quick rundown on idealism?
>>
>>9920680
I'm not asking for a quick rundown. I would however like a decent overview before I begin reading into it myself.

Which writers to read and in which order, etc.
>>
>>9920680
Matter ain't real, mind is the deal
>>
>>9920682
If you want the skinny on a philosophical concept just read the Standford entry on it tbqh
>>
>>9920702
Nonsense. I browse this board to read YOUR (;)) thoughts on philosophy and literature, not some "educated" university scholar.
>>
>>9920677
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUWK_pWrbw
>>
it's basically the idea that are no entities independent of those being perceived, and what those objects are made of is the perceptions themselves

so take a tree. what is it made of? what is it?

an idealist would say, you strip away how the tree looks to you, how it feels, how it smells, how it sounds, ad you strip away the concept of the 'tree' you have in your mind, then what are you left with? what remains? the idealist says nothing remains, there is no more to the tree than what you perceive of it, what's your perceptions is gone, there is no tree.

this is a description of subjective idealism btw. there's various other forms involving gods, etc
>>
Read the Introduction and Sections 1-5 of Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation.
>>
>>9921143
what the fuck i just converted from materialism to subjective idealism due to this post
>>
Platonic idealism is that certain human-intelligible "meaningful" ideas are the realest, underlying, structuring forms of reality, and that what we see in the everyday world is an emanation or derivation or otherwise some kind of dulled version of those perfect ideas

Ancient and medieval philosophy runs with Plato's idealism and makes "the Idea of the Good" into more obviously Christian themes like God being synonymous with the Good, or with Logos, or Intelligibility whatsoever, and the everyday material world being an emanation or creation of that originting godhead, or simply a straight-up collective illusion in in our souls (which are the only real things, and which think by having access to ideas through God)

Berkeleyan idealism is weird subjective idealism

Kant's critical idealism is that all of our knowledge is structured by the apparatus our mind/soul has for experiencing a world, and so whatever that world "truly" is, can never know its ownmost essence, only its mediated form as it appears FOR US (in our thoughts and ideas)

Fichte is weird, and is either a metaphysical subjective idealism or a very abstruse critical idealism depending how you read him, but most people read him as the first

Schelling is easier to read and is straight-up metaphysical subjective idealism but retains the world by making the "subject" experiencing that world idealistically a cosmic pantheist one, so that the whole WORLD we are experiencing IS the absolute subject and we can thus b "in" the world

Hegel is weird like Fichte, in that he has been read as a subjective idealism similar to Schelling where the overall absolute world-spirit is progressing according to a necessary unfolding of its rational self-awareness, but more recently (like Fichte) Hegel has been read more as saying that Absolute Spirit is the totality of human culture, a historical twist on Kantian critical idealism rather than a pre-critical metaphysics

Husserl is like Kant but better

Heidegger is like Husserl but more Hegelian than Kantian because we're always already immersed in a cultural life-world of ideas and interpretations and stances toward the world and its entities
>>
>>9920680
It's kinda like materialism, but with ideas
>>
>>9921616
same bro i just scheduled my baptism with the first national church of idealists
>>
>>9921684
Thank.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.