[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does one lose from reading translations vs. reading a language-original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Hegel.jpg (181KB, 452x572px) Image search: [Google]
Hegel.jpg
181KB, 452x572px
What does one lose from reading translations vs. reading a language-original copy of a work? For example, would one lose out on key insights or understanding dependent on idiosyncracies of the German language if they read an English version of The Phenomenology of Spirit as opposed to the original German one?
>>
>>9917943
Benjamin's “The Task of the Translator” is worth a read.
this has also been translated so heh

http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/deconstructionandnewmediatheory/walterbenjamintasktranslator.pdf
>>
>>9917943
It depends on the text you're reading, and the quality of the translation. A popular text will have numerous more accurate translations compared to obscure texts. And philosophical text are better suited for translations, as the ideas of the text can easily be convyed in a different language. Prose, however, is a lot more difficult to accurately translate while maintaining the same levels of literary nuance (e.g. complex concepts or words that aren't easily translated directly).
>>
>>9917943
See Quines indeterminacy of translation
>>
>>9917943
yes Hegel uses language in a really special way in the PotS, he often takes words with double meanings (most famous example "aufheben", which actually has a tripple meaning) or uses word in the most literal sense, but it's not the case for all philosophers, I heard Kant is actually easier to grasp in translation
>>
>>9917943
It really depends on the author. Hegel's Phenomenology is basically impossible to translate fully, although his minor, more conversational works (especially his trascribed lectures) can be read in English, French and Italian (I don't know if this applies to other languages). This can be said of Heidegger too, but not of Kant and Nietzsche, for example.
>>
What if the translator doesn't "get" what the author is trying to say? Or if he's got some kind of agenda?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.