[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brainlet here, how do I get started in philosophy? Is pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Brainlet here, how do I get started in philosophy? Is pic related a good starting place? I was thinking of moving to the Stoic writings after
>>
File: pepe autism.jpg (16KB, 586x579px) Image search: [Google]
pepe autism.jpg
16KB, 586x579px
START WITH THE GREEKS
>>
>>9910846
Does it matter which Greeks?
>>
>>9911088
the first ones
>>
>>9910390
I started with Plato's Republic.
>>
Begin with the Babylonians
Explore the Egyptians
Ascend with the Assyrians
Start with the Greeks
Resume with the Romans
>>
>>9910390
Start with the Sumerians
>>
Set theory, category theory, and lots of structural mathematics helps you think abstractly
>>
Find something that looks interesting and read it.
>>
File: 1433160796869.jpg (38KB, 533x340px) Image search: [Google]
1433160796869.jpg
38KB, 533x340px
>>9910390
PHILOSOPHY ISN'T A FUCKING TOOLKIT YOU PRODUCTIONIST UNTERMENSCH
>>
>read whatever youre interested
>afterwards start with the greeks and work your way to the present
>re-read what you were originally interested in
>>
>falling for a philosophy meme

I'll never understand this. I really won't.
>>
Do this: Read A New History of Western Philosophy by sir Anthony Kenny. Take note of the authors who interest you the most and in which matters. After finishing the four volumes, read the books by those authors covering said matters.
>>
File: 1481352717880.jpg (33KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1481352717880.jpg
33KB, 300x375px
>>9911511

>four volumes
>>
>>9911617
It's only 1000 pages. The alternative is Copleston which is like 7000 pages.
>>
>>9910390
"become less stupid&ignorant in 1, 2, 3" = The Prince, by Machiavelli

its super short & fairly easy to grasp
>>
>>9911617

I'm being completely serious when I say this. If you're only interested in reading the bare minimum then don't bother. Philosophy is not for you. The answer to everything is to read everything and to read it multiple times.
>>
>>9911617
Listen, Anon. Kenny's writing is clear and smooth. The books are divided in a history section and a pure philosophy section. You can read only the pure philosophy one, if you prefer; although, I'd advice you that, besides being very interesting and of great utility for general culture, the history section allows you to have a better understanding of the pure philosophy, so you should read it too.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.