[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who do you think the greatest geniuses of all time are? Not necessarily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 12

Who do you think the greatest geniuses of all time are? Not necessarily the people with the highest processing power or speed, but the people whose work makes you wonder how a human being could possibly think in such a unique or creative way.

for me it's a toss up between Nietzsche, Bach/Beethoven, Siddhartha, Zhuangzhi, and Shakespeare
>>
>no Goethe or Dante
Way to go
>>
>>9909706
You're a fuckin moron
>>
Leibniz

Nietzsche, Bach/Beethoven, Siddhartha, Zhuangzhi, and Shakespeare are LIGHT YEARS behind
>>
>>9909706
>>9909741
>no Kafka
>no Joyce
>>
>>9909706
Nobody.
They are all just men. Talent is overrated and effort is underrated.
>>
>>9909891
talent aint shit homie
>>
File: rms.jpg (13KB, 220x167px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
13KB, 220x167px
>>
Shakespeare, da Vinci, Leibniz, Joyce, Aristotle, Euclid, Mozart, and Freud. There are no doubt many more. I haven't read Goethe yet. And I've only read a small section of Faulkner. Emily Dickinson also deserves mention.
>>
>>9909841
Joyce ok, but who are you kidding trying to put Kafka up there, man.
>>
>>9909706
Aristotle

>First person to formalize logic
>Basically invented and kickstarted biology and zoology by himself
>Devised a cosmological system that would be in use for centuries
>Wrote a complete philosophical system that encompassed almost all fields of human knowledge, making deep and everlasting contributions to ethics, aesthetics and metaphysics

How can one man be so based?
>>
>>9909706

Newton
Einstein
Gauss
Euller
Michelangelo
Shakespeare
Bach
Mozart
Beethoven

There is a difference between creativity and raw brainpower. If we are talking of raw intelligence most mathematicians would score higher than even the greatest artists, yet creativity is a mysterious and extremely admirable thing.

No matter how much Von Neumann tried he would never be capable of doing what Mozart and Shakespeare did, yet I guess his IQ was probably higher.
>>
>le mozart
>le bach
>le Shakespeare
>absolutely tremendous my dear uuaaaahh
>oh no, of course not!
>Nietzsche Ah! Now we have a real jeenyus. Yes, indeed.
>>
>>9909706
>Zhuangzhi
>>
>>9910892
i don't know who you're quoting, but I laughed anyway
>>
File: pc_prince.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
pc_prince.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
this list is not culturally diverse enough
>>
>>9911137
bin ladin
>>
beckett. can't think of anyone else really. newton, einstein, basically all the big name 20th century mathematicians and physicists. ask me again in ten years..
>>
>no von neumann
>>
>>9911349
oh shit, how could I forget shostakovich and chopin?

>>9911356
meme tier
>>
>>9911362
just because his genius his universally heralded by other genius' does not make it a meme.
>>
hegel
>>
Define greatest

Define genius
>>
>>9911379
despite being clever, he didn't come up with anything revolutionary. not saying his work wasn't important though, it definitely was.
>>
>>9911420
besides game theory, and being the main figure in early computing and coding, among other things.
>>
>>9909716
Is there some /pol/ brigade today that I wasn't informed on?
>>
>>9911440
I guess I'm biased, as a physics student. I admire alterations in our perception of reality more than anything. But I guess game theory has a part in that. I'll get back to you once I've read all his papers.. all fucking 150 of them. lol
>>
>>9911441
some shitposters gone into overdrive. maybe they think they're being attacked with bats or something.
>>
>>9910762
>up there
You mean down there. He obviously belongs in his own category.
>>
>>9911381
Why not Coelho, then?
>>
>>9909706
>Aristotle
>Euclid
>Mozart
>Bach
>Dostoyevsky
>Da Vinci
>Dante
>Homer
>Freud
>Galileo
>J.K. Rowling
>Debussy
>Von Neumann
>Planck
>Marx
>Nietzsche
>Goethe
>Virgil
>Aquinas
>Obama
>Einstein
>Newton
>Leibniz
>Julius Caesar
>Joyce
>>
Fiona Apple
Johann Sebastian Bach
John Barth
Ludwig van Beethoven
Frederic Chopin
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Eric Dolphy
Bill Evans
William Faulkner
William Gaddis
Herbie Hancock
James Joyce
Franz Kafka
Curtis Mayfield
Herman Melville
Charles Mingus
Thelonious Monk
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Vladimir Nabakov
William Shakespeare
Igor Stravinsky
>>
>>9911517
>kafka-esque
>>
>>9911621
as someone who is pretty new to /lit/ I'm pretty sure
>J.K. Rowling
is a meme here or something, right?
>>
Me
>>
>>9909706

not even memeing but Bach is nowhere near as genius as people give him credit for

many composers who came after him completetely BTFO him
>>
File: 1503101831290.jpg (156KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1503101831290.jpg
156KB, 900x1200px
>>9909706
>>
>>
>>9910887
>No matter how much Von Neumann tried

you realize he owes his genius to Norbert Wiener, right? He knew it as well. He wasn't half as smart as Wiener and he had to constantly pick Wiener's brains to come up with his own theories.
>>
Newton

> If I presse my eye on [the] left side (when I looke towards my right hand) as at a, [then] I see a circle of red as at c but [within the] red is blew for [the] capillamenta are more pressed at n & o & round about [the] finger [than] at a towards [the] midst of [the] finger. [That parte] of [the apparition] at q is more languid because [the] capillamenta at o are duller & if [the] finger move towards e two much it vanisheth at q & appeareth semicircular. but if I put my finger at e or s [the] apparition wholly vanisheth. By putting a brasse plate betwixt my eye & [the] bone nigher to [the] midst of [the] tunica retina [than] I could put my finger I [made] a very vivid impression. But of an ellipticall figure because [the] edge of [the] plate [with which] I prest my eye was long & not round like my finger
>>
>>9911517
Kafka never felt particularly smart to me. He always just gave the impression of being perfectly composed and honest.
>>
>>9911826
Can you say more about this? I always felt Beethoven to be superior, but I cant say why: I am a pleb when it comes down to music. However, today it seems that the fashion is to place Bach as the number 1 of all time in music (that is common in 4chan debates also), so your view is quite interesting to me.
>>
>>9912176

Bach is a composer who's music you learn in like, your first year of music college. He is nowhere near as "complex" as people say he is. He WAS basically the master of music *for his time period* but music got waaay more complex since then, especially in the 20th century.

A lot of his music is very repetitive, doesn't do much with texture or timbre, doesn't have very interesting counterpoint, and stuff like that. I don't know why it's so trendy to call him GOAT now. I guarantee you the people saying that don't know any theory.
>>
>>9912203
>Bach is a composer who's music you learn in like, your first year of music college.

I get that this is an 'issue'. There are a ton of students who kind of learn him because he's the guy you're supposed to and end up playing overly romantic piano renditions, but he is magnificent despite this.

>Bach
>doesn't have very interesting counterpoint
Wut?
>>
>>9912250

>>doesn't have very interesting counterpoint

I mean relative to the composers who came after him, of course.
>>
>>9912261
>relative to the composers who came after him

Give examples.
>>
>>9911689
You have really good taste in jazz.
>>
Kant, Aristotle and Bach. I know I'm missing Middle Ages thinkers but that's because they appear too distant to even fathom just like the pre-Socratics.
>>
>>9912317
Thanks mate.
>>9912203
I don't really see why you equate complexity with superiority. Personally, I would say that what I see as greatest about Bach is the 'elegance' of his compositions. The voice leading, in all of his compositions that I have heard or read from the score of, is what I would call the definition of perfection. It's not necessarily complex but it's distinctly satisfying, and speaks uniquely. I'd be interested to see your opinion on this facet of his music compares to other more recent composers, and how their qualities make them better.
>>9912285
I'd also be interested to see examples of composers with better counterpoint than Bach.
>>
Shakespeare, Tesla, and Da Vinci are my top three humans of all time.
>>
>>9912671
Shit, I always forget Socrates. That motherfucker was more out and ahead of his time than anyone to ever live. Possibly the greatest mind to ever grace the Earth.
>>
Mike Stoklasa, Christopher Langan, Albert Fish, Thomas Aquinas
>>
>>9909706
barack obama, neil degrasse tyson, whoever the chinese guy was who invented the printing press, and rupi kaur
>>
>tfw 99% of any realistic list will be male
>tfw the few female inclusions will be mediocre honorable mentions at best

Why did I have to be born a woman
>>
>>9909706
>siddhartha
Nihilist
>bach/beethoven
Overrated
>zhuangzhi
You only like him because he's a chink.
>shakespeare
You only like him because you're an *nglo.
>>
>>9910853
>logic is good or smart
>le science is good or smart
>systematic bullshit is good or smart
Try again.
>>
>>9910887
STEMspergs are not intelligent, they're actually incredibly stupid. IQ is not a measure of intelligence, it's a measure of how well you fit the STEMsperg mould.
>>
>>9912761
ok buddy who would you pick then?
>>
>>9912759
get in shape
grow your dick out
>>
>>9912775
Myself.
>>
>>9912742
Lol
>>
>>9909706
Mozart
Bach
Beethoven
Shakespeare
Plato
Aristotle
Confucius
Cao Xueqin
Homer
Dante
The Yahwist (if he existed)
The Court Historian (ditto)
Gauss
Einstein
Newton
Leibniz
Euler
Michelangelo
Heisenberg
Guido of Arezzo
Archimedes
Kant
Kierkegaard
>>
>>9912887
>Homer
>a single person
>>
>>9910853
Aristotle ruined philosophy by formalising it.
>>
>>9911420
>he didn't come up with anything revolutionary

He invented game theory and discovered cellular automata; invented the universal constructor.
>>
Franz Liszt is one of them for sure.
>>
Slavoj Zizek
Alex Jones
Frank Zappa
Thomas Pynchon
>>
my diary senpai
>>
>>
>>9909706
>Einstein
>Gauss
>Joyce
>Trump

Anyone else is wrong
>>
Shakespeare, CS Peirce, Aristotle, Plato, Hegel, ST Coleridge

These minds stand far above the rest imo
>>
Borges, Milton are two I'd throw out there.
>>
Feel like most you guys only have a cursory understanding of the people they're naming here, or the ideas they came up with. pointless to call bach or beethoven a genius when you dont know the changes they brought about in classical symphonies and orchestras, or even know any music theory yourself. More like parroting. Deep understanding is underrated.
>>
>>9913153
I guess then knowing what I know about:

Kubrick
Borges
Turing
Shakespeare
>>
>>9912764
Aristotle BTFO
>>
>>9913153
my list is here>>9913142
I'm omitting to take into consideration their time and place. Just a list of the best thinkers I've read for sheer accuracy and subtlety
>>
>>9912759
git gud kid.
>>
>>9909741
Definitely do not fit the list.
>>
>>9912490
>>9912285

sorry for the late reply but I would say composers who are more complex than Bach would be the big serialists like Schoenberg and Xenakis, composers who do counterpoint better would be some of the minimalists like Steve Reich (his works seem deceptively simple and are actually really interestingly composed) and composers who do voice leading better would be Wagner and John Adams (Nixon In China) and maybe Philip Glass too (Einstein On The Beach).
>>
>>9913379
I would argue that they made complex music in a time that Bach and others had made possible for them to more easily make complex music
>>
>>9913379
Also, Xenakis is interesting, but not a great composer I would say. Stockhausen would be a much more impressive modern example
>>
>>9912203
>doesn't have very interesting counterpoint
Ok, troll or retard here, nothing to see.
>>
>>9909706
De Witten, Clark Maxwell, Hawking, Penrose, Da Vinci, Plato, Beethoven, Bach, Shakespeare, Gauss, Archimedes, Ramanujan, Cantor, Euler, Cannot name Newton without Leibniz,
>>
>>9909706
Shakespeare, Puccini and Mozart
>>
>>9910892
lel
>>
>>9911809
J.K. Rowling and Obama were probably bait.
>>
>>9912957
This.plato is where it's at
90% of philosophers are pure horeshat bunk retarded down syndromed shit eaters.
>>
>>9913425
Ramanajan is a retarded/sci/ btw
>>
>>9913456
*retarded sci meme* I meant
>>
>>9913457
Please explain how being a meme disqualifies him.
>>
>>9912887
Who is the court historian? Could you link me anything about him?
>>
>>9909706
I hope they are people who haven't been born yet. Goethe, Da Vinci, Jesus Christ, Nicola Tesla (read the FBI archives) have claims to this throne.
>>
>>9913379
The most pseud post in here. And that's saying something.
>>
>>9913861

not

an

argument
>>
>>9913888
and I suppose reddit spacing is?
>>
>>9912765
>reliable bachelor of attendance butthurt

uma delicia
>>
>>9909741
One hit wonders don’t count.
>>
>>9911809
She’s the voice of a generation, Anon.
>>
>>9912951
I should have said if he was a single person. Same with the Yahwist/J writer.
>>
My favorite geniuses are Aristotle, Cervantes, Dostoievsky, and Tolkien
>>
File: IMG_2371.jpg (94KB, 631x852px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2371.jpg
94KB, 631x852px
>>9909706
James Joyce
Marcel Proust
Morrissey
Seneca
The guy from the Tesla company
Alex Jones
Zuckerberg
>>
>>9909706
Shakespeare or Mozart.
>>
>>9913549
>>9913549
>>9913549
If anyone knows.
>>
>>9909706
James Joyce. If he went into any field he would have been all-time great. He chose literature because art is the greatest form of human expression and literature is the most superior form of art.

You can only fairly argue this if you've read most of the western canon and can truly appreciate the vast brilliance of Joyce. If he went into math he'd be superior to Leibniz; if physics, superior to Einstein; etc.

Buy all his books. Read all the prerequisite readings (Odyssey and Hamlet), then read all of Joyce's books. After that, read the entire western canon, starting with who he liked the most: Shakespeare, Dante, Chekhov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Aristotle, Ibsen, Flaubert, Ben Johnson, Defoe, Chaucer, and more (you can look up his literary tastes online, there are several articles outlining them). Start chronologically. And even try dabbling in prose, a short story every week or month, just to fully appreciate how hard writing can be and how much depth he put into each single syllable. It's astounding. He would write ~2 sentences per day when writing Ulysses.
>>
>>9912203
Yeah, I remember playing Die Kunst der Fuge in my first year studying music.
Great bait
>>
Hesiod
>>
>>9913449
Plato destroyed Western civilization.
>>
>>9909706
It's Schopenhauer
>>
>>9915017
There wasn't even a western civilisation when Plato was around.
>>
>>9915017
Nope Calvinism did,And I know for a fact you haven't read a word of plato
>>
>>9909706
Freemasons
Aknhetan IV
First horse domesticater
Thales of Miletus
Aristotle

Hobbes
Gauss
Napoleon
Newton
Maxwell
Ford
Tesla
Hendrix
Heisenberg
Von Neumann
Pupin
Witten
Fermi
Zizek
Guy Ellis Hreinberg
Kanye West
Heidegger

In no particular order :)
>>
>>9915160
Autism,also who tf is guy ellis hreinberg
>>
>>9915160
Forgot

Aesop
Hesoid
Nobel
Einstein
Kafka
Fredrick
Hippo
Hegel
>>9915174
An Icelandic YouTuber
>>
God
>>
>>9909706
1 Von Neumann
2 Ramanujan
3 Newton
4 Gauss
5 Euler
6 Archimedes
7 Faraday
8 Maxwell
9 Leibniz
10 Euclid
11 Aristotle
12 Plato
13 Tesla
14 Galileo
15 Da Vinci
16 Riemann
17 Grothendieck
18 Planck
19 Einstein
20 Bach
>>
>>
>>9913549
The hypothetical author of most of 2 Samuel and the first two chapters of I Kings. There isn't much about him, if he existed: Robert Alter talks about him in his introduction to his translation of Samuel. Roger Norman Whybray's book Succession Narrative: A Study of II Samuel 9-20 and I Kings 1 and 2 goes into it extensively, as does Gerhard von Rad's The Problem of the Hexateuch and Other Essays.
>>
>>9915160
>>9915198
>>9915291
This,only correct ones
>>
>>9912765
>STEMspergs are not intelligent
>Newton, Einstein and Gauss weren't intelligent
>>
File: 1498639889849.png (621KB, 1203x663px) Image search: [Google]
1498639889849.png
621KB, 1203x663px
people whose work makes you wonder how a human being could possibly think in such a unique or creative way
>weird people on the internet

i never was impressed by art because i felt it was "unique or creative" in a way i would not expect. this is retarded. the thing that impresses me in a work of art, or a work of a genius, is how much trouble had to be overcomed to attain that work (overcomed by the individual or/and culturally/technologically). also, the thought of people like Siddhartha, Zhuangzhi, and Shakespeare is not so unique when you consider when and where they were made, they brought new ideas but their shit was not all that different from things that already existed in their time (and they, most certainly, were not concerned about being "unique and creative" in the way you worded).
>>
>>9915999
Are you Canadian too?
>>
>>9916055
no. i thought it was easy to spot that i am from the third world because of my shit english. this is the first time someone asked if i am from english speaking country and i am not sure if am supposed to be glad because of it. what your post was supposed to mean?
>>
>>9913379
>Steve Reich does counterpoint better than fucking Bach
>>
>>9912203
If this is bait bravo
>>
>>9914849
Anon I think you and I would get along. Did you take a /lit/ degree or are you just a big reader?
>>
>>9910887
>>9910753

>Mozart

lol he expressed nothing
>>
Socrates and Jesus Christ.
>>
>>9909706
>for me it's a toss up between Nietzsche, Bach/Beethoven, Siddhartha, Zhuangzhi, and Shakespeare
seriously? Siddhartha?
>>
>>9912007
not the guy you're replying to, but Kafka really is a special guy, regardless of his intellect. Nobody has ever written stories like him, as imitated as he is
>>
>>9912203
Killer fuckin b8 m8
>>
>>9916680
He expressed love better than any other composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhpqp8jWgE
>>
>>9916680
>>9916821
I remember hes sucking some bitches titties in the first 5 minutes of his movie. I think of that shit every time someone mentions Mozart. I guess they had to grab peoples attention somehow because why the fuck would normies want to watch a Mozart film
>>
>>9911689
Listening to the VanGelder Ike Quebec on low burn right now-- would add
John Coltrane
Paul Chambers
J. J. Johnson
Sonny Clark- and either
Grant Green or Wes Montgomery or Kenny Burrel--
(you) choose
>>
>>9916852
*got JC, my bad-
>>
I've played piano and studied classical music for 20 years and I'm not a fan of Bach's music.

The guy was a genius and pretty much defined the foundations of music theory, but holy hell is his music a chore to listen to.
>>
>>9915107
>Calvinsim
Moldbug what are you doing here
>>
>>9916859
can you give some recommendations for someone trying to get into classical music? for reference this is my favorite thing I've heard so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lC7V8hG198
>>
Shinichi Mochizuki B)
>>
File: IMG_0865.jpg (49KB, 750x555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0865.jpg
49KB, 750x555px
>>9917059
It's true though look at his smug face while flashing Masonic symbols on you
>>
>>9917141
>masonic symbols
>implying it isn't the hyperstitional immanentization of checking dubs, itself being the rhizome of cyberquabbalah in time crisis
>>
>>9915072
That merely compounds the devilry of his misdeeds.
>>
>>9917162
It's literally true though dipshit it's pretty obvious masons have been active since Egypt.im surprised 4chan and even dumbass /x/ has slacked on this.the Jews are a partly a diversion and deception (even though they have a part)
>>
>>9917640
redpill me on the masons, anon
>>
>>9915107
This
>"muh treat yourself like shit and treat everyone else good"
>>
>>9917648
There's a lot of books on this stuff but read the ones from the 19th century not the new age one the basic jist is that everything is a deception magic exists,(study symbiology) basically if you're trying to find what they're about in a object concept view of them,you're looking in the wrong direction.these people are high mystics and if you do a simple google search many important people are either admittid freemasons or suggest they are by hand motions (there are some exceptions who are great people and not freemasons obviously) there's a lot more to it if you want an entertaining description of it watch this guys vids
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlepYvk185o
He has some kooky ideas and some retarded viewpoints but he is well researched and knows what he's talking about plus he's unintentionally pretty funny and he was a leading computer scientist in Iceland

Skip to 26:00 min for the jist
English is my third language so sentences are shite
His other vids are pretty entertaining
>>
>>9916859
>but holy hell is his music a chore to listen to.
I have no idea how you can thing this.

>I've played piano and studied
I mean, like I said before, I get that if you just played a bunch of Bach works on solo pianofrote then he would likely seem like a boring composer that your teachers thrust upon you. But even out all all his concertos, cantatas and masses, you find nothing that appeals to you?
>>
>>9917065
Paolo Bellasio, Giovanni Dragoni , Stefano Landi, Rinaldo del Mel are good starts if you like Allegri.
>>
File: 1259806353.jpg (18KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
1259806353.jpg
18KB, 350x500px
Sean Goonan
>>
>>9909706

Greatness of purpose, smallness of means, and astonishing results - these alone constitute true genius.

Lycurgus
Plato
Aristotle
Aeschylus
Confucius
Diogenes
Epictetus
The Prophet Muhammad
Shakespeare
Coleridge
>>
>>9914849
>James Joyce. If he went into any field he would have been all-time great. He chose literature because art is the greatest form of human expression and literature is the most superior form of art.
>You can only fairly argue this if you've read most of the western canon and can truly appreciate the vast brilliance of Joyce. If he went into math he'd be superior to Leibniz; if physics, superior to Einstein; etc.
No. Mathematical-scientific-logical thinking is different from the more intuitive-emotional-holistic-verbal ability typically present in what we call good literature. Two different types of people.
>>
>>9910753
Dude, come on, Freud? Obviously his work was inspired and laid the foundation for much of psychology afterwards, but I don't think it took genius.
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.