[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's soon time to begin reading for university. I will be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: fellow french.jpg (86KB, 895x720px) Image search: [Google]
fellow french.jpg
86KB, 895x720px
It's soon time to begin reading for university. I will be starting at a top uni and have been given a gargantuan reading list to get through. While I am passionate about my education, there are so so many books I'd rather be reading than those that I will be forced to. I feel like that's going to weigh on me as I delve into these next few thousand pages.

My question to /lit/ is how do you deal with reading things you don't really want to read? Forcing yourself through books you don't find interesting is an obligation when you're not reading for recreation

pic related, i'm studying languages
>>
I've come to realize that most of the stuff I was assigned to read/forced to read is stuff that--even if I didn't actually read it when I was supposed to--I end up wanting to read. The stuff you skip over in your academic career (even stuff from high school) ends up being a loss, a gap in your reading. Let's say you skip reading Woolf's Orlando (just as an ex); it will more or less haunt you until you read it. You'll feel like you've missed out, and it will feel like a bigger gap in your reading than some other random (canonized) work you were never assigned/haven't gotten to.

That's just how I feel. If you're at a good school, nearly everything they assign will be worth reading.

>>9909404
If you ever start displaying these symptoms, go to the doctor immediately and have him shoot you in the head.
>>
> I will be starting at a top uni

Which one, and whats on the reading list?
>>
>>9909606
this
>>
>>9909606
>>9909909
Oxford. Reading list includes some good stuff, like some Proust, Racine and Montaigne. So this anon (>>9909516) is probably right that I'd want to read the content at some point in my life. But there are things I've been dying to read for ages and the mere fact that I have to read what's on the list sucks the fun out of it a bit.
>>
>>9909404
Ban this nigger mods
>>
>>9910103
>going to Oxford
>not wanting to read Montaigne

this is why they make you read Montaigne
>>
>>9910103
Any religious texts on there by any chance?
>>
>>9909399
nice google translation meme
>>
Could you post the full list?
What is the point of reading the works on the list aside from just general enrichment?
Do they ask you to write essays on them?
>>
>>9910103
really nice, you will read them in french? Should add some Baudelaire and rimbaud i learn french at duolingo exclusively to read them.

Pour soulever un poids si lourd,
Sisyphe, il faudrait ton courage !
Bien qu'on ait du coeur à l'ouvrage,
L'Art est long et le Temps est court.
>>
do you start in a company as a ceo? no you start in the mailroom
>>
>>9911277
no, unfortunately not
>>9911938
there'll be essays and discussion with tutors on them
>>9911949
yes, read all in French. We're doing Les Fleurs du Mal but no Rimbaud unfortunately.
>>9912487
I see your point, but that's irrelevant
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.