[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really love Philip K Dick's novels, but I just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 71eMe-9vo5L.jpg (151KB, 1130x1719px) Image search: [Google]
71eMe-9vo5L.jpg
151KB, 1130x1719px
I really love Philip K Dick's novels, but I just finished pic related and... I don't understand why it exists. I'm not sure if there's some deeper metaphorical meaning I'm missing or if I somehow lost the plot, but it felt like it just kind of slowly fizzled out the entire way through.

Is it a novel that you need to read a few times to get? I need to understand.
>>
>>9908491
I didn't particularly like or "get" it either - it's mildly interesting that the people in the alternate history like reading about our version of history, but that's about it. No idea what he meant by all the I Ching stuff.
>>
>>9908491
Don't think it's anything beyond an alternate-history novel.
I found it very underwhelming, and it actually put me off from reading any of his other works. Then i read Ubik and i was blown away
It was his first novel though, don't be tough on the guy
>>
kill your self bookfag
>>
It helps to know that every time a character brings out the I-Ching, Dick literally did the same thing and used the results to determine their actions.

The novel was written using the I-Ching, just like The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.
>>
>>9908491
as >>9908586 says, the author of the Grasshopper Lies Heavy is Dick, himself. Allegedly he wrote The Man in the High Castle in the same way that the author did and he thus felt very shaken up by the ramifications of it. Unfortunately Dick neglects to mention this an any afterword which severely undercuts the metaphysical theme that runs through the book.
>>
For its time, I think it's conceptually very interesting but in terms of PKDs own work it's mid-tier. Everyone reads it because the premise is an easy sell. But when I talk about what something like Three Stigmata is about, which I think is just outright better, it's difficult to break the book down into a easy to digest premise like with high castle or even Ubik (which I also feel is overrated within his own work.)
>>
>>9908658
>>9908505
>>9908491
agree with all these posts. big time dick fan and severely disappointed by this novel.
>>
>>9908530
>It was his first novel though, don't be tough on the guy
ha what?
>>
Agree and I'm not really a dick fan. It was ok but it's popularity is due to its ability to be used as a launching pad for pseuds.

The thing with literary "intellectuals" OP is they need fuel to make shit up. All this nonsense about "Tee-hee, what is real what is fake?" may seem lie trivial nonsense to us but it really does fuel academia pseuds.
>>
>>9909381
Hey it's interesting to consider plus the Amazon series is f u n.
>>
File: IMG_2233.jpg (10KB, 218x316px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2233.jpg
10KB, 218x316px
>>9908491
>Dick
>>
>>9909861
>>
File: 91og4Jniz+L.jpg (562KB, 1185x1514px) Image search: [Google]
91og4Jniz+L.jpg
562KB, 1185x1514px
>>9908595
>Unfortunately Dick neglects to mention this
i thought that it was common knowledge, thats why i read it.
>>9909381
>"Tee-hee, what is real what is fake?"
people start asking these kind of question when they took drugs and realize the gov. is lying to them.
>>
i nearly didn't read any more dick after this one because it was so underwhelming
but fortunately i took a chance on ubik a few years later and it turns out he's one of my favourite authors
>>
>>9910860
huh, it turns out >>9908530 had the exact same experience as me (except i'm not so retarded as to think it's his first novel)
>>
>>9909295
>>9910867
But wasn't it his first published novel? I was confused.
The book is pretty mediocre, maybe that made me think too that it was a debut novel.
>>
>>9908793
gay
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (118KB, 530x705px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
118KB, 530x705px
>>9910919
the only one previous to it i've read is eye in the sky, which i enjoyed a lot more
>>
File: 1456756770095.png (244KB, 609x945px) Image search: [Google]
1456756770095.png
244KB, 609x945px
>>9909877
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.