[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently bought this completely out of the blue and its really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: desassossego.jpg (557KB, 1524x2286px) Image search: [Google]
desassossego.jpg
557KB, 1524x2286px
I recently bought this completely out of the blue and its really quite bothering me.
I think I like it for it's insights and interpretations of life, but anytime I try to remember what themes it touches or any actual passage, I can't come up with anything.
I feel like I'm absorbing nothing from the book and that I'm missing much of what it means.
What should I do?
>>
>>9906889
If you understand the individual fragments not understanding the whooe shouldn't be a problem. After all, it is a book of fragments, understandings of the whole should come naturally and intuitively.
However, you can sum up Pessoa with 'I wish I was aware of my unawareness' and the Book of Disquiet with 'I wish an impossible dream was true'.
>>
>>9906889
I really want to read this book but I'm worried about picking the wrong edition. Not only does the translation need to be good, but it also requires a good editor to faithfully curate a bunch of notes left in Pessoa's trunk and turn them into a novel. What's the best edition?
>>
I didn't even know there was supposed to be a bigger picture, I just like when he roasts people.
>>
>>9906925
Pre ordered a new translation coming out. If you search on amazon the one in hardcover with the weird face is the one.
>>
>>9907017
I don't know about a bigger picture. But I can't think of fragments that stay with me, and most of the time I forget about most of them altogether
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 600x908px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 600x908px
Read this one, OP.
It's similar but better.
>>
I read this recently and I agree with you. Whenever I try to reflect on the book, I can't come up with much except one or two-sentence summarizations like people did ITT.

I did however enjoy it a lot while reading it and made a lot of nptes and saved my favourite passages.

I liked it a lot.
>>
File: the book of disquiet1.jpg (239KB, 800x1167px) Image search: [Google]
the book of disquiet1.jpg
239KB, 800x1167px
>>9907120
I did a little "research" and I came across the following as being well-acclaimed editions
-the Penguin in OP
-Margaret Jull Costa's translation
Was there any compelling reason why you chose the new translation (pic related?)
>>
>"I feel like crying," is what an adult, i.e. an idiot, would say.

(Best part)
>>
>>9907842
That new edition is translated by Margaret Jull Costa.
>>
>>9907842
It is a complete translation, whereas most are abridgements, and unlike most it is also arranged in chronological order. Also ND doesn't put out shit translations, so you can bet it'll be good.
>>
>>9906904
>you can sum up Pessoa
You cant sum up Pessoa. He wrote under a multitude of heteronyms, each with their unique style, ideas, bio etc. TBoD is attributed to Bernando Soares, A boring accountant with no social life, but a rich and vivid inner world.

>'I wish I was aware of my unawareness'
In his work by Alberto Caeiros the explicit projectc is the exact opposite: "If the eyes are windows, thoughts are the shutters" etc

>>9906889
>anytime I try to remember what themes it touches or any actual passage, I can't come up with anything.
That's part of the trick Pessoa pulls with Soares' musings. The text embodies the author- a nobody you would forget the moment you met him.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.