[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've decided I want to learn Latin. I have no idea how to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I've decided I want to learn Latin. I have no idea how to go about doing this. Please, help me.
>>
>>9906402
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Qs8ijddzcXzFkZGVzbmdHVE0/view

Some girl here posted this. Enjoy. It's super fun. I've been using it too.

part 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-Qs8ijddzcMW1zdWJNZEs5d0E/view
>>
Get this: the guy dies in a fiery flame along with his dog. Horrific to grow so close to someone - whether or not they exist - only to see them put down. My recommendation is to closely watch Caecilius. He is a brave man, and an example to us all.
>>
>>9906412
lmao wut?
>>
>>9906408
I don't know enough Latin to use a textbook that's entirely in Latin. Are you using some supplementary source?
>>
>>9906470
I use a dictionary/Wiktionary only. I still remember some stuff I learned in grammar school so I don't need more material.

The book seems fine to me even for complete beginners, though. Are you sure you can't follow it? Much is illustrated and exemplified.

Check out Wheelock's Latin (7th. ed) too. It's great. You can find it on http://b-ok.org/ or some such site.
>>
>>9906402
>>9906510
I second Wheelock's. Get through that book and you'll be able to read basic to early intermediate Latin.
>>
How can you decide you're going to learn something you don't even know how to learn?
Don't you think elaborating your own schedules based on the learning material you already have is part of your learning process? If not, how could you ever achieve your goal that way?

It makes no sense, and if you're depending on anonymous people to tell you what to do then you're not going anywhere anyway
>>
>>9906544
I clearly just wanted some book recommendations which other people gave me. I have learned French, so I'm no stranger to learning a new language. Please, go look for reasons to feel self-righteous elsewhere.
>>
>>9906544
>How can you decide you're going to learn something you don't even know how to learn?
What a retarded statement.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 260x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 260x321px
i wholly do not recommend wheelock's. from what i've heard, it relies solely on rote memorization of grammar and vocabulary, which is the wrong way to learn a language.

the right way to learn a language is to use the language without mental translation; you apprehend a text, an action or an object primarily in the second language. to this end, the Cambridge Latin Course series has a very intuitive teaching method. within three school years (i was a stoner, unfortunately), i had translated the satyricon and most of catullus' poetry. get the books, do the workbook exercises, thank me later.

>source: earned highest honors annually for the NLE despite it being tailored for wheelock's.
>>
File: I have it.jpg (25KB, 310x474px) Image search: [Google]
I have it.jpg
25KB, 310x474px
this book is good if you wanna hit it hard
>>
>>9906565
Not an argument

>>9906555
Then why didn't you create your own schedule beforehand? You either start taking lessons or you start teaching yourself, and part of that is being autonomous in that regard
I didn't mean to discourage you, but for you to decide you're going to do something the least you can do is come up with reasonable ways of doing it yourself

Look up some torrent books, I guess
>>
>>9906579
>from what i've heard
It worked well for me. Got through the book in about a year then started reading with a dictionary. Now, after two years total, I can read Cicero smoothly (looking up a few words per page and checking complex grammar once in a while).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.