[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth reading? I loved the movie but I heard it was very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Shiningnovel.jpg (30KB, 259x383px) Image search: [Google]
Shiningnovel.jpg
30KB, 259x383px
Is this worth reading? I loved the movie but I heard it was very different from the book.
>>
Joey loved it, so probably not
>>
Absolutely not.
It's very cheesy and incoherent, the fact that King hated the film (which I think is a masterpiece) speaks to his inherent pleb sensibilities.
>>
Both the book and movie are good for different reasons. If youre interested then def try it. If you dont like it then drop it.
>>
>>9904223
The book is decent-ish. Really fucks it up at the end. Kubrick did it better.
>>
>>9904223
It's good up till the end. Kubrick was right when he decided to throw out the entire ending and make a new story
>>
King thinks it's a tragedy about the fall of a good man because the bedbug-crazy shitbird is based on himself.
>>
i read it in high school. i liked it but didnt love it. probably wouldn't care for it too much now. its the only stephen king novel ive ever read. if you primarily read classics or are at least conscious of literary movements, there is a chance you'll think the writing is bad.

the movie is a masterpiece. the book is way different. you do get more details though and you get a lot more into the mind of the characters.
>>
>>9904223
Eh. King has better books.
>>
Misery is better
>>
>>9904622
Not really, he's a giant waste of time all around.
>>
I remember some sections describing his isolation and paranoia in the basement being actually creepy. Other than that just feels like an excuse for King the alcoholic to tap into his deranged self.
>>
>>9906155
The Long Walk is pretty good
>>
>>9904223
Kubrick improved on the shitty source material, I'd recommend watching Misery instead or Carpenter's The Mist instead.
>>
>>9904280
The book is definitely not good, Kubrick definitely improved the source material.
>>9904622
That may be generally true, but it doesn't change the fact that these "better books" are like a plastic baggy filled with bad ham.
>>9906155
This.
>>9906023
Haven't read it, don't doubt it, but I doubt his writing ability enough to not bother with Misery, even if it is "better".
>>9906247
>Kubrick improved on the shitty source material
Yes.
>I'd recommend watching Misery instead or Carpenter's The Mist instead.
I wouldn't.

Just skip King and read literally anyone else. These threads come up every now and then, but the truth always remains: he's one of the worst writers discussed on this board.
>>
File: v6CLCyjmHE3nD10.jpg (2MB, 1502x1181px) Image search: [Google]
v6CLCyjmHE3nD10.jpg
2MB, 1502x1181px
Hearts In Atlantis and Different Seasons both contain some great short stories/novellas.
>>
Pet Sematary is pretty gud
>>
>>9904223
The movie is superior, but the book is still worth reading. It's one of King's better efforts. Most of the differences were due to things that wouldn't translate well to a visual medium, but the film's mostly very faithful if you ask me.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.