[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Black Witch centers on a girl named Elloren who has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

>The Black Witch centers on a girl named Elloren who has been raised in a stratified society where other races (including selkies, fae, wolfmen, etc.) are considered inferior at best and enemies at worst. But when she goes off to college, she begins to question her beliefs, an ideological transformation she’s still working on when she joins with the rebellion in the last of the novel’s 600 pages. (It’s the first of a series; one hopes that Elloren will be more woke in book two.)
>It was this premise that led Sinyard to slam The Black Witch as “racist, ableist, homophobic, and … written with no marginalized people in mind,” in a review that consisted largely of pull quotes featuring the book’s racist characters saying or doing racist things.
https://archive.fo/1VYaB
LOL.
>>
>>9904212
so... what?
>>
>>9904216
>write a book that panders to social justice
>get slammed by an SJW
It's pretty amusing.
>>
>>9904228
so what
>>
File: blackwitchariel[1].jpg (373KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
blackwitchariel[1].jpg
373KB, 1600x1200px
>those adverbs
>>
>>9904348
>her eyes are darkly rimmed with black kohl, making her pale green eyes...

this was edited

>>9904212
who fucking cares op, white women gonna white women, just fucking ignore them
>>
File: 1483663655288.jpg (33KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1483663655288.jpg
33KB, 313x313px
>>9904348
>book is written in the present tense
>>
>>9904348
The themes and the names, if not the language, feel like a 1960s retread.
>>
>>9904362
Hey, it can work.
>>
File: 1383121563195.png (90KB, 238x276px) Image search: [Google]
1383121563195.png
90KB, 238x276px
>“I was really excited for what she was going to say about it. I thought it was going to be 600 pages of epic-ness,” she says. But her excitement soured when she caught wind of the book’s issues; just reading the sentences collected in Sinyard’s review and Twitter threads was painful, she says: “It hit me really hard. I’m so upset about it. It was very hurtful, and very, like, just harmful and triggering.”
>>
>>9904371
It almost never works and generally should not be attempted.
>>
>>9904212
>The plebs discuss mediocrity loudly among themselves.
And the world turns.
>>
>>9904348
>genre fan complains about adverbs
you losers will never into real literature

>>9904228
>>9904399
lmao that's what you get
>>
>>9904423
What do you mean when you say "real literature"? I hope you do not mean "post-WWII literary fiction".
>>
>>9904420
*burns
Sorry, typo.
>>
>>9904423
real literature is a cancer
books aren't supposed to be portals into the deepness of humanity or whatever, they're supposed to either entertain or educate (manuals & shit)
>>
>>9904444
>>9904423
Why settle for one thing when you can have both? The best of genre fiction is both entertaining and "deep" and "insightful".
>>
>>9904444
What a waste of quads. Why can't a fiction book provide a manual for you life and be instructive to moral or aesthetic values?
They aren't supposed to be portals? Why, says who?
>>
>>9904469
I am not >>9904444 and I am not saying what fiction should or shouldn't be, but I have to point out that it's easier to mislead a person with supposedly instructional fiction than other writing. Fiction can present false conclusions in a vivid, emotionally appealing form through characters we like and willingly empathize with.
>>
>>9904483
Right, and I'm not disagreeing with you, I just got annoyed that >>9904444 basically raised a bunch of really contentious and unsophisticated points without any attempt at explanation.
>>
>>9904362
Who is this qt?
>>
>>9904454
name ten examples.
>>
>>9904212
I will fucking try to buy this book just to fuck with these unbearable sjw
>>
>>9904571
But the author is an SJW, too. Did you not notice that?
>>
>>9904581
I do, but I won't lie, I legit am interest in the book.
I was some what of a sjw (yeah, not the proudest past I admit it), so I am kinda aware of their way of thinking and even agree with some topics they again and again try to promote, tho I am not dogmatic as these fucking retards are.
It sounds cool the idea of the book, a girl that lives in a hierarquical society with different races and full of prejudices and stuff and how slowly she turns away from such things.
I am sorry, it just sounds cool.
It may be YA, and I have a big prejudice against 99% of YA's, but some are cool, and, if this isent very expensive, I may well buy it.
This isent "They Hate U Give" levels of sjw, but one of the things I learned by force is to try to learn from your enemy. I read several author with views I disagree (like Marx or some conservatives), but by throwing my ideas against theirs, I can come up with a good syntesis.
I like the idea of books that explore "controversial" topics. I may not agree with some of the conclusions, but I do like them.
Thats why I have a tendency to write some awfull characters. Many of my characters have prejudices, many are manipulative, and this one in particular, a demon named Pierre, is a fucking moron who sometimes calls women "pieces of meat" and sometimes raped druken women... But even with that, I try to make the character relatable in the sense that he can too do acts of good or care for others, even if he is a piece of shit.
>>
>>9904581
It's just the fact that, if there is something that truly [TRIGGERS] me is this policing of literature.
Pieces of shit, if you cant read other thing than your godawfull trash, then get out reeeeee
>>
>>9904362
I only write 2nd person future tense genre fiction.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.