[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, so I'm free to do anything but I think this supposes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sartre.jpg (67KB, 720x542px) Image search: [Google]
sartre.jpg
67KB, 720x542px
Okay, so I'm free to do anything but I think this supposes that humans want to do anything in the face of meaninglessness in life. In response, we want to cease to exist. How does Sartre answer this?
>>
this is why the greeks never spoke of freedom as an amulgation of "rights" positive or negative, abilities 'granted' or provided for, or abilities 'not prevented'

They spoke of freedom as a quality of character ie "the free man". At least beginning to think about this distinction between freedom as a quality of men, and the modern political notion of freedom being exclusively something which describes MEN in a polity
>>
>>9904227 (cont)

will lead you in a direction to think about this
>>
>>9904227
Maybe this is an ok response with regard to enlightenment era notions of natural Rights, but how does this relate to Sartre? The notion of freedom of modern existentialism is not a rights-based notion of freedom. Freedom is not even a secondary 'quality' of man.

Man is fundamentally free, because he is ontologically -just- open being, that is never set or determined but always becoming. Man's possibilities cannot ontologically be distinguished from his realitas.
>>
>>9904274
>so I'm free to do anything but I think this supposes that humans want to do anything in the face of meaninglessness in life.

You touch on it right there. You must see some tension between the existentialist notion of ontological freedom and the preclassical notion of masculine freedom.

>I think this supposes that humans want to do anything in the face of meaninglessness in life
the tension is located in the fact that this description does not apply to the latter notion of freedom

please don't dismiss the pre-moderns
>>
>>9904154
Why are jumping from freedom to meaninglessness?
>>
>>9904356
Sartre himself uses meaninglessness as a foundation for his philosophy.
>>
>>9904360
lol, low iq bait-poster, move on
>>
>>9904360
How does he jump from freedom to meaninglessness?
>>
>>9904367
It's the other way around.
Existence before essence.
>>9904366
Honestly, what's wrong with you?
>>
>>9904376
just can't help myself but to fuck with a faggot like you when I see one haha
>>
>>9904386
Haha nice
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.