[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it really mean to "Find your own meaning in life"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Lemuria-Atlantis-main-4-post.jpg (233KB, 900x698px) Image search: [Google]
Lemuria-Atlantis-main-4-post.jpg
233KB, 900x698px
What does it really mean to "Find your own meaning in life"? It's a commonly repeated phrase, but few people go into detail about what it means. Sure, there's the obvious interpretation that a person should do what they love regardless of societal expectations, but there must be more depth to the idea than that. For instance, you might be able to attach a feeling of universal importance to things most people deem trivial, and model your whole world-view around that. Thus, by adjusting your values to match with your current life, you can ensure a basic sense of fulfillment at all times simply by adhering to whatever you choose.

What do you make of it?
>>
Society gives you a predetermined way of life that is the standard for a "meaningful" life. A person may reject this meaning or regard it as insufficient. Many people realize this but are unable to forgo their roles and duties. Finding your own meaning is to go outside the boundaries of safety and risk being lost in the search for your personal meaning.
>>
>>9898788
Don't think of this as society placing some constraint on you but rather you being a happy petal fitting within an arrangement of a huge flower. Lucky for us, man is never truly happy than when he is participating in and witnessing harmony. The natural order serves us and we serve it.
>>
>>9898891
>risk being lost
What do you mean?
>>9898995
The answer is to live in accordance with nature, then?
>>
>>9899005
In accordance with it but also understand you can mold it if you are competent and responsible
>>
>>9898788
>>9898891
Folk existentialism -- the thesis that you can seek and find "your own meaning in life" -- is a perversion of more traditional modes of meaning-investiture into conformity with the logic of postmodern capitalism, where individuals are construed as free agents in a meaning-market. In reality, the world discloses its significance to individuals, especially through their embeddedness in and enaction of socioculturality, although that is not to say that that meaning would exist in the absence of those to whom things can be meaningful.

As far as I can tell, folk existentialism is at best an evasion of the human situation and at worst just another metanarrative rationalizing it. You can either buy into folk existentialism, the 'Heideggerian' alternative above, or nihilism. I'm somewhere between the latter two.
>>
>>9899005
Everything you do, regardless of what you do, is always -- necessarily -- in accordance with nature.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.