[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't see a QTDDTOT thread so I'll ask this way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: timeline.jpg (114KB, 736x1094px) Image search: [Google]
timeline.jpg
114KB, 736x1094px
I didn't see a QTDDTOT thread so I'll ask this way
In Robert Fagles' translation of the Iliad, Book 6, Hellen is expressing to Hector her disgust with her coerced marriage to Paris
>But since the gods ordained it all, these desperate years,
>I wish I had been the wife of a better man, someone alive to outrage, the withering scorn of men.
What did she mean by this?
Is she saying he's capable of being enraged, or that he's someone who is hated?
>>
Need help finding a book I read a while ago. It was a fantasy novel with a young boy as the main character. Everyone seems to like him yet views him as a kind of cursed child. His love interest is the baron's daughter whose father accidentally sells out the whole town to a raider pretending to be a soldier. I don't remember much after that.
Also OP, I always figured that she meant he was weak willed and incapable of being enraged.
>>
>>9896030
Alive to outrage in the sense that he isn't fighting back for what is (now) his like he's supposed to.
She's saying Paris is a coward basically.
>>
>>9896030
She's saying she don't want no scrub
>>
>>9896132
That is close to how I took it. So "the withering scorn of men" is simply her describing outrage.
>>9896133
That much to me was obvious, it was whether her description was of her current husband Paris, or of her dream lover.
>>
>>9896330
Yes, someone more sensible to men's affront.
>>
>>9896348
*affronts
>>
>>9896348
Thanks, anon.
Another question too, beginning of Book 5, Athena armors Diomedes
>She set the man ablaze, his shield and helmet flaming
>with tireless fire like the star that flames at harvest,
>bathed in the Ocean, rising up to outshine all other stars.
>Such fire Athena blazed from Tydides' head and shoulders
Was he actually covered in fire like Ghost Rider? I can't recall Edith Hamilton mentioning this.
>>
>>9896478
In my opinion yes, since there's also a comparison to Sirius.
>>
File: 1501376964160.jpg (388KB, 1163x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1501376964160.jpg
388KB, 1163x1300px
Hey /lit/, a /fit/ brainlet wishes to read a weird book that makes him wonder wtf is he reading.

Do you know of any such good books?
>>
>>9897105
Define "weird"
>>
File: 1501723928145.gif (958KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1501723928145.gif
958KB, 400x225px
Are there any examples of fiction that lack conflict? Tvtropes claims that "If you don't have conflict, you don't have a story." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Conflict I would like to know /lit/s opinion on this.
>>
>>9897218
Cute cat
>>
>>9897218
Invisible cities
>>
>>9897105
why must u torment me with these jesebels
>>
Where do I get books for cheap?
>>
>>9903001
A library
>>
>>9897105
Try "A Scanner Darkly" by Philip K Dick
>>
File: IMG_2669.jpg (67KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2669.jpg
67KB, 650x500px
In regards to philosophy, should I read the full books? I've never finished the Enneads, Leviathan, or Meditations on First Philosophy and it's eating me up inside
>>
>>9897105
The crying of lot 49
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.