[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Joyce avoid getting put in a mental hospital after people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: e6.jpg (65KB, 576x387px) Image search: [Google]
e6.jpg
65KB, 576x387px
How did Joyce avoid getting put in a mental hospital after people started reading Work in Progress / Finnegans Wake?
>>
File: 1502522131204.jpg (28KB, 640x730px) Image search: [Google]
1502522131204.jpg
28KB, 640x730px
>>9893484
You read it for the plot.

Prose fags are too unintelligent to realize this and get enamored by small things like butterfrys and Friday night lights
>>
>>9893484
I'll bet you don't read poetry well
>>
>>9893484
pretty sure the world knew he was a hack by then
>>
>>9893484
i literally burst out laughing when I saw the parenthetical after "The fall". Joyce was a top tier memerino.
>>
>>9893484
Someone tell me what the fuck he's saying.
>>
>>9893827
"Please give me prompt psychiatric treatment, I can't even form coherent sentences anymore."
>>
>>9893789
>>9893827
He's constantly combining words from different languages with similar meanings, as well as combining names of places, or using double entendres, or allusions combined with words... it's all about synchronicity, duality, connectivity, repetition.
That bit after 'the fall', that's a combination of many different dialects word for thunder, as well as a few words for the voices of gods.
It's a book where you basically have to look into everything, and that's the point.

Cheers
>>
>>9893827
> riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

This is essentially the equivalent of a panning shot in a movie, out "camera" is following a river past the Adam and Eve church in Dublin, around, and to Howth Castle and the environment around, i.e. Dublin. Also, HCE

>Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passen-core rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war:

This character is coming back to Ireland from America to fight in the Peninsular War (or a war similar) while also feeling or being isolated

>nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time:

The rocks and pebbles by the Oconee stream (in Georgia) have not appeared more important or grander to the 'gorgios' (one who gorges his or herself?, also "Georgia") but Lauren County. Doublin is doubling/Dublin

>nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick:

Nor a voice from a fire below/bellowed... the rest is nonsense that is fun to say outloud to me, although thwarting Patrick seems to be mentioned

>not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac:

Very soon after his rearrival (also Venison) a rascally child hit an "isaac" (sacrificial person) with the buttend of a stick or gun or fist or bottom.

I'm not claiming to be able to fit every single word or sentence into the plot but overall it makes clear sense to me. This is an introduction to a character returning from Georgia, USA to fight an internal or external war in Ireland.
>>
>>9893484
Because the lunatics would try to escape from the asylum.

They finally decided to let him live in order to keep the retards on the outside sedated with their "hipness".
>>
>>9893923
Isnt the plot something that resembles a dream? Props.
>>
>>9894015
I haven't finished the book yet (I sometimes spend over half an hour on single paragraphs, so it's an unbelievably slow, if not incredibly fun, read) but to me it so far seems to be a series of 1-3 page vignettes that occasionally feature recurring characters, motifs, and references. HCE is considered the "main character" but you'll sometimes find a dozen pages of shorter scenes and stories before you see him or any other character blatantly referenced again
>>
>>9893923
>Very soon after his rearrival (also Venison) a rascally child hit an "isaac" (sacrificial person) with the buttend of a stick or gun or fist or bottom.
That part's actually the Jacob and Esau story. Isaac was their father. "Bland" is a play on "blind" Isaac was blind at that point in his old age, which was why Jacob was able to trick Isaac into giving his elder brother Esau's birthright. He did this while Esau was away hunting game, which in the King James Bible (probably the version Joyce was most familiar with) is referred to as "venison:"
http://biblehub.com/genesis/27-3.htm
>Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
>>
>>9893923
>>9894037
Also "bland" is used as a play on "blind" because it continues the meat punning started with very soon / venison / venissoon.
>>
>>9894037
>>9894046
Fuck, I just read that story too, I can't believe I didn't pick up on it. That's part of why I love the book though, every sentence just gives and gives and gives
>>
>>9893845
ahahahahahahahha good post
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.