[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I missing out on a lot if I read books translated in an obscure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20170814-WA0000.jpg (217KB, 1280x1233px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170814-WA0000.jpg
217KB, 1280x1233px
Am I missing out on a lot if I read books translated in an obscure language? Currently stuck in high school in a shitty country (Albania) and it's hard to buy books in English (LOTR cost $60). I can read them on my pc but I don't really like it and it hurts my eyes (can't afford a Kindle or any e-reader). So how bad is it?
>>
>>9892084
Unless the translation is acclaimed or done in concert with and edited by a bilingual author, I would be deeply skeptical.
>>
>>9892084
You are, but it's still better than not reading the books at all imo.
I read all my books translated to Norwegian (my language).
>>
>>9892084
>Dante Aligieri
Fucking Dante.
Where's Alberto Eco though?
>>
Mobi file reader is free software that allows you to view Mobi. files, witch are the majority of downloadeble books
>>
Most of the pseuds on this board won't read The Divine Comedy at all, and those that do mostly read it in English translation. Don't fall for the >translations meme. However, you should always be learning a language.
>>
Most of the pseuds on this board won't read Paradise Lost at all, and those that do mostly read it in English translation. Don't fall for the >translations meme. However, you should always be learning a language.
>>
>>9892084
I get very little out of reading dante in Italian, even. If you want to get the divine comedy look up commentaries, rather than the actual text itself. There so much obscure shit you need an outside source for

>>9892101
You mean Umberto Eco or am I missing something
>>
>>9892138
I think it's Roberto actually
>>
>>9892786
Yes, Roberto Boleco
>>
>>9892084
Maybe an e-reader would help? I know the initial investment is high, but after that you can download all the books you want.
And well, you may live in a shitty country, but at least you can read Ismail Kadare in Albanian.
>>
Do you like Kadare?
>>
>>9892854
>>9892846
Is Ismail Kadare any good?
>>
File: 00426157_jbh.jpg (82KB, 792x1200px) Image search: [Google]
00426157_jbh.jpg
82KB, 792x1200px
>>9892823
>>
>it's hard to buy books in English
Do you use Bookdepository or Amazon? Are the shipping prices really that bad? Ereaders shouldn't be that expensive either...
>>
>>9892846
>>9892854
>>9893017
Kadare is the most overrated writer here, he writes like a child. Although I've only read one of his books, that is also the impression that he has left to other readers I know. And also he is a very shitty person, was a Envers bitch before the 90' (and exploited his privileges for his own self interest in the commie era, like aborting her daughters child because her bf didn't come from an aristocratic family and then interning him and his mother after he refused to give up his love for her) and after Democracy came in he acts like he did nothing, and people forgot about it and went on praising him.
>>
>>9893375
He is a Tosk. He has no Besa like us in the north.
>>
>>9892084
library? a good 1/6 of my library caters to filthy fugees.
>>
>>9893375

I guess it's sort of like how Margaret Atwood is the only Canadian author anyone has heard of. Or Haruki Murakami for Japan.
>>
>>9892084
nah you good nigga. you aint a scholar.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.