[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else reading the new Feser? https://www.youtube.com/w

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: cover.jpg (19KB, 147x216px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
19KB, 147x216px
Anyone else reading the new Feser?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEXrvuM1H0M&feature=youtu.be
>>
I pre-ordered his other new book coming out next week
>>
>>9891702
BMSHBBS is interesting and well written enough I'll probably order that one too alongside the Scholastic Metaphysics.
>>
>>9891712
His beginners guide to Aquinas is good too. I'd recommend reading that or the last superstition before scholastic metaphysics if you are new to the subject.
He is a good writer and his books are enjoyable to read.
>>
I didn't know this was a very controversial topic within the Church. I've always figured that capital punishment is justifiable on principle, but not in practice. Meaning its acceptable to execute somebody if its very likely that they'll escape prison or kill another person in the future, but when this is put into practice in the modern world it's not very likely that anyone can escape prison and we have other options when it comes to keeping prisoners from killing each others.

When it comes to 3rd world countries like Mexico the Church might be able to support capital punishment since the cartels have so much power.
>>
Feser is a good philosopher despite being a Novus Ordo conservative.
>>
>>9891769
I'm not new to the subject at all, been reading Thomism for a while.
>>9891784
He argues that it's necessary for any justice system based on the principle of equity, the harsher the crime, the harsher the punishment. So Ted Bundy needs to be executed for justice itself, the danger being posed as irrelevant past a certain point.
>>9891788
Is he really? I'd take him as closer to Garrigou-Lagrange than any other Catholic philosopher.
>>
>>9891860
>So Ted Bundy needs to be executed for justice itself, the danger being posed as irrelevant past a certain point.
>I didn't know this was a very controversial topic within the Church. I've always figured that capital punishment is justifiable on principle, but not in practice. Meaning its acceptable to execute somebody if its very likely that they'll escape prison or kill another person in the future, but when this is put into practice in the modern world it's not very likely that anyone can escape prison and we have other options when it comes to keeping prisoners from killing each others.

"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

Blood justice may be necessary, but do not let you be fooled into thinking it is christian.
>>
>>9891873
>my utterly corrupted by enlightenment/progressive/modern values view of the issue is far closer to what christianity is actually supposed to be about than centuries of openly and unabashedly christian societies
Good god
>>
>>9891880

No no no, true Christianity started in the 19th century.
>>
>>9891880
https://themennonite.org/feature/early-challenges-capital-punishment/

Tertullian, Clement, and Celsus all argue against it.

But forget that, I'm sure the pure church of the Babylonian exile or the Saeculum obscurum that the sanctioned capital punishments were carried out by the very hand of god, despite the sermon on the mount.
>>
>>9891873

Are you a Protestant? They're the only ones stupid enough to try an prooftext a complex philosophical debate. Context be damned.
>>
>>9891873
>If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

But we only got two cheeks, m8. Jesus knew this.
>>
>>9892069
They argue against application, not principle while Origen, Augustine, Ambrose, Aqunas and Bellarmine for it.
Papal magisterium even required it's acceptance from certain heretical groups for. So it isn't necessary as per Kant, but nonetheless a remedy.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.