[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does writing have to have a deeper meaning? Im writing some short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: galvantula.jpg (13KB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
galvantula.jpg
13KB, 300x229px
Does writing have to have a deeper meaning? Im writing some short stories, some are about something, some have ironic twists, but the story i'm working on now is just a meaningless Sci-fi romp

Some privateers steal a macguffin, then a ship from another planets millitary shoots them down, they crash and are stranded in the middle of a planets ocean, they are attacked by a giant squid and fight it off, then the millitary that attacked them sends another ship after them, the hero throws some explosives into the ocean and it baits the squid to come back and just totally wreck the millitary thats attacking them. they take one of the ships left over at the battle and fly off (This
is also the first chapter in a book I'm going to write in peices, I don't have a grand outline for the book, just the next 2-3 chapters ahead, kind of making it up as I go)

no deeper meaning, no morale, no twist, just a, hopefully, fun adventure

At first I thought that wasan't good enough, but then I remember how much I love the John Carter series, it's just pulp, it's fun

TLDR: Does ALL writing have to have deeper meaning and be great literary work? or can it just be fun sometimes?
>>
if it doesn't comment on the discourses of power which exist in present day america it's worthless

any pretension for deepness is wrongheaded

thinking in aesthetic terms rather than understanding the current class conflict and power dynamics and working to destabilize it is immoral

so, go ahead, OP, go ahead and make your little book, but keep account of this How good a book is is not dependent or reprimanded or landed on discussing race relations but on quality of story, character and creation of an intriguing aesthetical experience
>>
>>9887787
The problem i have with this premise is that it's entirely action. Like, cheap, thriller, hollywood level action. Not my cup of tea. But you seem to be writing for a plebeian audience, so good luck to you.

Imo short stories don't have to be deep, literary, recursive / multi-layered experiences a la Borges, but they do have to be thoughtful and written in a charming style. See Julio Cortazar and Lydia Davis--look for their flash fiction. Cronopios and Famas
>>
>>9887787
In essence, you're describing asceticism. And it's okay to do as long as its engaging. It might be a bit unrewarding when it comes to prose, but I do enjoy it when it comes to poetry:

Today was a mild day for so late in February.
Spring sang early by a windy tributary,
and played away the cold decay of December.
There was a green leaf applause for all to remember:

All the red-breasted robins chirping wildly,
in hopes of calling new love blindly.
And all of the dogs who's lonely, friendly barking
echo into the falling curtain of night.

Then in my house seat I preside
by the window open wide,
as a distant rushing wind
and bellowing train blend
into a calming sort of static.

I watch the street with vague intent,
hoping to notice nothing at present,
while a cool air gently plays
with my hair and brightness
of my marijuana cigarette.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.