[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get into Germanic mythology? Edda? Which one? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

How do you get into Germanic mythology?
Edda? Which one? What follows?
Any chart or help appreciated.
>>
>>9886288
Nibelungenlied and Thidrekssaga.
Edda also, just mind the Christian stuff.
>>
>>9886288
Both Eddas, but the Poetic Edda is older.

The Icelander's sagas (Njals, Laxdæla, Grettis), the Kings' sagas (Sverris, the St. Olaf sagas), the short tales of Icelanders, the knights' sagas (Brother Robert's translation of Tristan),
>>
>>9887286
It is pretty funny that the Nibelungenlied mythologizes characters who were themselves Christians in real life.
>>
>>9886288
What's the context of this photo?
>>
>>9887747

The Rhinemaidens are pleading to the demigod Loge for Wotan's help to regain their Gold (and with it the power to rule the universe) from the wretched Alberich The Dwarf.

It's a depiction by Arthur Rackham, of a scene in Part 1 of Wagner's Ring cycle. Richard Wagner wrote Der Ring des Nibelungen as an allegory for many things, and composed it mainly of various Germanic myths and folktale. He was a man utterly convinced he was bringing about a higher sphere of human experience through his music. They're worth listening to despite their anti-Semitic disposition.
To OP I would also recommend John Gardner's Grendel of 1971 if (s)he has read Beowulf.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.