[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to book reading so could someone help me out wi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: fee.jpg (922KB, 1989x1582px) Image search: [Google]
fee.jpg
922KB, 1989x1582px
I'm new to book reading so could someone help me out with some choices?

I'd like to start with the bestsellers and then deviate from that since if everyone read then then the general consensus is that they're good.

I ordered "A Game of Thrones". Everyone on the planet is jacking off to the show so I want to know what the hype is all about, but I can't watch the show since my expectations are too high.
I'm thinking on ordering some more since there's a discount on some of my other desired books. I'd really appreciate it if someone gave me their honest opinion.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13694796
>>
>>9886131
this is the worst way to look at it. If you're starting out, what's important isn't getting the "best" books, it's getting books that interest you. You're building a foundation on which to build, not doing homework.

Do you already know what you like? or are you going in completely blind?
>>
>>9886150
I'm going in blind.

The only books I read are books I had to read for class like "Bridge on the Drina", "Crime and Punishment". Those 2 are the only ones I clearly remember.
>>
>>9886162
Did you like crime and punishment?
>>
>>9886170
there were parts that were boring as fuck like the part where Raskolnikov is talking to the drunk guy at around 1/3 of the book and the end after he decides to give admit to his crime. The killing of the Ivanovnas was hype though.

I'd rate it 6-7/10.
>>
>>9886180
>crime and punishment
>6-7/10

Fuck off.
>>
>>9886131
>how to make the simple act of buying a simple book so fucking complicated.
>>
I'd recommend the books americans read in high school english,for example the iliad, canterbury tales in middle english, beowulf, heart of darkness, the stranger, 1984, shakespeare, etc.
>>
>>9886162
Then first, I'd suggest just exploring, rather than buying a list of books based on what other people say. If you live in the states, go to flea markets and buy a couple boxes of books for a couple bucks, or go to the library. Before trying to find certain books, you need to have context.

Damn, for all the charts floating around, you'd think there'd be one that'd chart the largest spectrum, but I can't think of one.
>>
>>9886131
Nah man dont get GOT. It's too much reading and you will get so little out of the books. I've read the greek translations when season2 ended, since I couldn't wait for a year till the next season.

>>9886180
.>>9886185

6-7 is pretty decent if it is one of the first "classical" books he is reading. It will take time for him to appreciate books like this.

Maybe you should try Moby Dick, just throwing this out.
>>
>>9886185
how would you rate it then?

>>9886197
how does this one look to you?
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/wiki/fiction#wiki_comics

I'm currently reading His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and it's pretty nice. Only 60-ish pages in though.
>>
>>9886234
Dostoevsky is a genius and every book of his is a 10/10 masterpiece, if you disagree you need to wake up and apologize.
>>
>>9886131
This is a list of books I read that I enjoyed. I chose them for being relatively easy to read and also encompassing a large spectrum of writing styles and topics. Take in mind that I'm not any kind of expert.

Shogun - James Clavell
Journey to the West

Bangkok 8 .- John Burdett
Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

Once and Future King - T.H. White

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Don Quixote - Cervantes

Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

City of Thieves - David Benioff
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Swiss Family Robinson - Johann Wyss

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk

Horns - Joe Hill
It -Stephen King

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Moby Dick - Herman Melville

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones
The Dragonriders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Persian Boy - Mary Renault

John Dies at the End - David Wong
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
>>
>>9886290
>>9886205
>Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Not OP, but is it true that you have to read the entire old testament to understand it?
>>
>>9886292
No, but it does help in general.
>>
bump?
>>
>>9886131
If the general consensus is that they're good, it doesn't mean that they're good. If it is not forgotten after 2 centuries, than it is good (because that means that it became a classic). And by the way, most of the works that were considered good while they were recently published got forgotten after 2 centuries, and the ones that were not popular at all became classics.
>>
>actually reading books

don't even bother, just read the wikipedia article
>>
>>9886292
No it's not. An annotated edition, an internet connection or a basical school-tier knowledge of the Bible will do fine
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.