[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently developing an art project related to the forthcoming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: syzygy.jpg (125KB, 823x600px) Image search: [Google]
syzygy.jpg
125KB, 823x600px
I'm currently developing an art project related to the forthcoming total solar eclipse & negative theology.

I wonder if you have any literary depiction, reference etc. of eclipses you would like to share, maybe it will stimulate someone else's mind too. Since it is such a powerful event for the collective psyche it is interesting to see how it influenced/inspired other artists.

Etymology:
> Middle English: from Old French e(s)clipse (noun), eclipser (verb), via Latin from Greek ekleipsis, from ekleipein ‘fail to appear, be eclipsed’, from ek ‘out’ + leipein ‘to leave

And a beautiful simile from Flannery O' Connor, a syzygy between the Sun, Earth and the Moon (God, her Ego and God's presence):
> Dear God, I cannot love Thee the way I want to. You are the slim crescent of a moon that I see and my self is the earth’s shadow that keeps me from seeing all the moon. The crescent is very beautiful and perhaps that is all one like I am should or could see; but what I am afraid of, dear God, is that my self shadow will grow so large that it blocks the whole moon, and that I will judge myself by the shadow that is nothing.
>>
I will bump because I wanna see what others will say to op, seeing I dont know how to awnser him and I am vary curious over this.
>>
Have you read The Sun and the Fish by Woolf?
>>
>>9884698
I will, love Woolf but did not know about this.
>>
Your pic looks both very interesting and utterly nonsensical. What exactly is the context of that diagram?
>>
There's probably something to do with Australia's history you could use, as James Cook's original purpose on his voyage was to observe an eclipse.

>>9885124
Doesn't appear on google at all. I'm curious.
>>
File: neg1.jpg (63KB, 400x439px) Image search: [Google]
neg1.jpg
63KB, 400x439px
>>9885124
http://www.ccru.net/syzygy.htm

It's the Numogram or Decimal Labyrinth developed by the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit in Warwick (Sadie Plant, Nick Land, et al.). I am not particularly interested in numerology, but their approach was deep & contemporary enough to be fertile. IMHO same goes for Negarestani's Cyclonopedia.

>>9885323
> On June 3, 1769, British navigator Captain James Cook, British naturalist Joseph Banks, British astronomer Charles Green and Swedish naturalist Daniel Solander recorded the transit of Venus on the island of Tahiti during Cook's first voyage around the world. During a transit, Venus appears as a small black disc travelling across the Sun. This unusual astronomical phenomenon takes place in a pattern that repeats itself every 243 years. A "secret" mission that followed the transit included the exploration of the South Pacific to find the legendary Terra Australis Incognita or "unknown land of the South."

Impressive, thank you! The four-person crew defined by their professions reminded me immediately of VanderMeer's Southern Reach Trilogy:

>The book (Annihilation, first book in the trilogy, ndr) describes a team of four women (a biologist, an anthropologist, a psychologist, and a surveyor) who set out into an area known as Area X. The area is abandoned and cut off from the rest of civilization. They are the 12th expedition. The other expeditions have been fraught with disappearances, suicides, aggressive cancers, and mental trauma.
>>
>>9884666
This sounds p awesome, anon
>>
Virginia Woolf's journal entry about the eclipse is stunning, thanks to the anon that suggested it:
> But now the colour was going out. The clouds were turning pale; a reddish black colour. Down in the valley it was an extraordinary scrumble of red and black; there was the one light burning; all was cloud down there, and very beautiful, so delicately tinted. The 24 seconds were passing. Then one looked back again at the blue: and rapidly, very very quickly, all the colours faded; it became darker and darker as at the beginning of a violent storm; the light sank and sank; we kept saying this is the shadow; and we thought now it is over - this is one shadow; when suddenly the light went out. We had fallen. It was extinct. There was no colour. The earth was dead.

Here the entire passage: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/eclipse-of-the-sun-we-had-seen-the-world-dead-1105788.html

>>9887042
Thank you!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.