[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is lit opinion on this guy? I've read half of his books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 43766-1.jpg (53KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
43766-1.jpg
53KB, 600x400px
What is lit opinion on this guy?
I've read half of his books and wasn't impressed. Some ideas were good, some thoughts were good, but I felt he had a condescending, arrogant tone and could fit in /r/iamsosmart sometimes.
>>
>>9883572
>and could fit in /r/iamsosmart sometimes.
More like r/books haha. I've read Cat's Cradle and slaughterhouse 5. The former was pretty good, and got me in to reading. The latter was kind of "meh" just because it doesn't seem to capture the horrors it wants to show us. And the horrible bits are quite short. You can't really feel for people who are wandering around in Luxembourg to get caught to get sent some place better. I liked the horsey bit though, just because it was so sad. His ideas aren't great but he's a good entry level author.
>>
>>9883599
Same thoughts
>good entry level author
What would you advise to read next?
>>
Also, Breakfast of champions was the worst
>>
He's a good author who was propelled into fame because he was taken up by the 60's and 70's anti-war youth movement. He's not great, and if he hadn't arrived at his historical moment he would have been a cult author. You've touched on his major flaws.
>>
>>9883572
>but I felt he had a condescending, arrogant tone
I wouldn't say his tone is condescending or arrogant. It's just the typical attitude of a lol-so-randumb humorist to deride things commonly considered as trivial. I see it as a combination of self-resentment and desire to fit in. Overall he is pretty humanistic and some of his things are pretty comfy but maybe he is self-conscious about it because people prone to sentimentality are generally looked down on. A lot of times he feels the need to profess that he is in fact a nice person, but then he wants to take an above it all stance so he wouldn't seem too personally invested.
>>
>>9883888
I think both are right. I've met Vonneguth fans and they were exactly like him - hiding insecurities and weaknesses behind snarky remarks and patronising attitude
>>
>>9883960
Rather than saying "I don't thing his tone is condescending or arrogant" I should have said "I don't think that makes him a condescending or arrogant person".
>>
>>9883981
Well, like his characters. Though his personality is pretty evident throughout the books
>>
He is like a Sheldon Cooper, that kind of guy
>>
He started strong and then realized he'd be critically rewarded if he started sounding like an ur-Occupy Democrats shill. That's how you end up with your name on the binding of a book like Deadeye Dick.
In other words, he took the same path as Steppin King.
>>
>>9883711
Breakfast of Champions is my favorite book of his and one of my favorite books I've ever read.
>>
>>9884680
Haven't actually watched the show but this sounds pretty off the mark.
>>
>>9883711
>(you)
>>
I liked his appearance the Rodney Dangerfield comedy, Back to School.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.