[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are lits thoughts on John Rawls's theory of justice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (11KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11KB, 183x275px
What are lits thoughts on John Rawls's theory of justice? Recently purchased the book and want to know what i am getting into
>>
Bumping to keep it in the catalogue
>>
Does no one on Lit know this book? Disgraceful
>>
>>9878737
It's just that Nozick and MacIntyre did the job for us.
>>
Sorry, what are you asking?
>>
Neglect of the second principle is basically why benevolent capitalism never pans out.
>>
>>9878750
That really doesn't justify the fact no one has read it to be honest
>>
>>9878705

Retarded sophistry. It is plague-tier unfortunate that this garbage is in any way popular and influential.
>>
>>9878705
i didn´t read it and i don´t know anything about joh rawls, but it probably sucks
>>
Awful book, not even joking. Basically, "let me justify my secularized Protestantism" for 600+ pages. The thought is banal, the writing obscure. Tries to build a government that would avoid coercion, but instituting the difference principle would require massive amounts of state coercion. No one seems to realize this. It also has a pie-in-the-sky quality, like just-so story. Just a truly terrible book.
>>
If you have to know some Rawls, OP, just read "Justice as Fairness" (either the article from the start of his career or the book from the end) and call it a day. The man literally built a career and churned out thousands and thousands of pages, based on the most banal insight imaginable.
>>
>>9878705

It's not exactly an entertaining read. It is an articulation of an ethical theory, and thus, written to be as tediously comprehensive as possible.

That being said, it is highly influential. Not so much for Rawls' conclusions, rather the 'veil of ignorance' thought experiment that is central to his theory has been taken by numerous other modern philosophy and applied to argue for principles Rawls never intended. If you're interested in political philosophy it is a must read. However, I would still only read certain chapters rather than a back to front. Even the first 100 pages or so would suffice.

After that read Nozick's, Anarchy, State, and Utopia, he picks it apart and raises some seriously challenging questions for Rawls' theory.
>>
>>9879455

>the writing obscure.
>Just a truly terrible book.

It's written for an academic audience who is acquainted with the literature and jargon of the field. It's not something you pick up to read on the toilet or in bed.
>>
>>9881086
Thank God at least one person on this board actually addresses the topic on this thread in an appropriate fashion. Much appreciated.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.