[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /lit/! I'm new here. I have (and adore) all of Lovecraft's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hi /lit/! I'm new here.
I have (and adore) all of Lovecraft's works and "The Great God Pan" by Machen is my all-time favourite book.
Any similar books (or just writers in general) that I could enjoy?
I've read some stuff from Poe and I'll definitely check out more of his work soon, but I feel like reading some stories by less known authors first.
Any recommendations?
>>
why do you like that guy's stories? personally, I find them corny. explain yOURSELF!
>>
Bump. I am interested in this myself, anon. I have some ideas but they are not nearly as straightforward as simply telling recommending a book that has "Lovecraftian" elements.
>>
you could try more machen, also bierce then robert w. chambers, laird barron, anything that references carcosa in the title. robert shearman and ligotti if you want more contemporary feeling stuff.
>>
oh and going backwards from machen and that, towards fairies rather than spooks, lord dunsany & spenser's fairie queen might appeal
>>
>>9877039
Ligotti is great.

"A Colder War" by Charles Stross
"Dark Awakenings" by Matt Cardin
"Divinations of the Deep" by Matt Cardin
"Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner

Laird Barron might interest you too.
>>
>>9877067
Forgot to add, The White People by Machen if you haven't read it.

It isn't Lovecraftian but I think you may enjoy Diary of a Madman by Nikolai Gogol too. You can imagine what it's like from the title and it's only a short story.
>>
Since you're new, I don't know if you know about http://libgen.io

They should have the books we've mentioned if you want to try them.
>>
Robert Chambers and M.R. James are next on the list after Lovecraft and Machen. But don't neglect Dunsany and Derleth.
>>
Ligotti and Clark Ashton Smith. Both are better writers than Lovecraft. Also, try and read Maupassant's The Horla, it's quite probably the best horror story along with Blackwood's The Willows
>>
Clark Ashton Smith wrote all the best mythos stories, in my opinion. The Door to Saturn, and The Empire of the Necromancers are two of my favorite stories of his.
>>
>>9877076
The White People is straight up my favourite thing from the entire genre and class of writers. That is a good fucking story.
>>
Thanks to all, guys.
My original answer to >>9876693 and >>9876727 didn't get uploaded due to connection problems, but to sum it up, I really love how Lovecraft's creatures have a psychological effect on their victims: he explains with detail the feelings of terror and impotence of the men who meet them. More modern horror stories that I've read before didn't really gave too much weight on the traumas such encounters could give to the victims, and that was a nice discovery when I started reading Lovecraft.
Add that to the fact that the debatable mental sanity of the narrators leave you with many questions about the verdicity of what they say (and I really like when a book leaves you thinking about it even once you've finished it), the amount of diverse creatures he came out with, with his own "cryptozoology"... I can totally see why one wouldn't like them, it's my kind of things though.

>>9877092
Thanks! Bookmarking it. I've been trying to begin reading in English lately to improve in it (it's not my first language) but I didn't really know where to look at. This site seems golden.

>>9877055
That's fantastic, I really like stories about fairies. Definitely going to check it out. Thanks!

>>9877039
>>9877067
>>9877076
>>9877110
>>9877226
>>9877670
Thank you all for your suggestions! Gonna have a quality time with all of these stories to read. =)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.