[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some worthwhile contemporary philosophers to read? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: Giorgio_Agamben,_wall_portrait.jpg (814KB, 800x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Giorgio_Agamben,_wall_portrait.jpg
814KB, 800x1195px
What are some worthwhile contemporary philosophers to read? I've been thinking of getting into Giorgio Agamben.

Also don't bother saying people that aren't philosophers like Peterson or whatever alt right blogger you like. I already know about Nick Land.
>>
>>9874822
Yeah, Homo Sacer and State of Exhibition are great but pretty dense, especially the first.
>>
>>9875024
Any of his other works easier to get into maybe?
>>
Jordan B. Peterson
Peter Moyneux
>>
>>9874822
What's your criteria for contemporary?
>>
>>9874822
Saul Kripke
>>
>>9875585
Currently living or at least active within the last 10 years.
>>
>>9875616
>Grindr Greg

Stay away from that faggot
>>
>>9875639

He's a homosexual pagan, you can't get a much better candidate for philosophy. Check him out.
>>
>>9875693
>>9875742
He's a 2-faced fraud. He changes his act depending on the audience he's talking to.

He's really just a liberal who's afraid that the brown homophobes are going to take away his bath-houses when they take over.
>>
Luciano Floridi, look up his lectures on YT or Onlife Manifesto
>>
>>9876456
Seconding this. Never see him mentioned here really.
>>
>>9875581
No, Homo Sacer isn't that difficult (even if it is, it's pretty hard to approach his work as a whole without understanding the paradoxes he puts forward in the book), his process of thought is extremely clear. Things only start to get more complicated with Stasis.
>>
>>9874822
>lol u liv naked cuz u can't take a shit in the middle of the street
>what's living? lol dunno, nerd

truly the mind of the millennium
>>
>>9878184
You sound mad my friend, maybe you can't deal with the politicization of your body by the state you claim to love?
>>
>>9878190
Nigger, I consent to that. So I can have, yknow, running water and the possibility of not getting stabbed when I get out of my mud hut
>>
Alone.
>>
>>9878197
You consent to that because you don't really have any option, it's not even "consent". The same way you "consent", people without running water and/or people who get stabbed are still forced to consent as well.
>>
>>9878210
I do have an option, and that is to run from society. Live isolated innawoods.
However, when I do that, I become a liable to repercussions from the State because I've become a threat to society, which comes from the fact I'm subverting its institutions. So it's only logical that I be dealt as such.
Those people consent to several other opportunities of living in society, and the possibility of them having their conditions improved. Furthermore, ending the State which governs them would aggravate such situation
>>
>>9878438
>I've become a threat to society
oh no anon lives innawoods we're doomed

>ending the State
who said anything about ending the state
>>
Martha Nussbaum.
>>
timothy morton
>>
>>9880627
An actual who?
>>
>>9874822
clean your room
>>
>>9874822
Agamben is good, but very hard since he constantly draws on the entire canon, presupposing your knowledge of the stuff he discusses. Most often though it's Heidegger, Foucault, Derrida and Benjamin.
>>
>>9878695
not that anon but it is indeed a threat to the state. just like the sudden emancipation of the press w/ smartphone cameras on police everywhere. it's not the individual who is a danger, but the possibility that everyone will pick up on a new method of living that doesn't the state's monopoly on water/energy/order. technology could easily make it happen.
>>
>>9881910
>new method of living that doesn't the state's monopoly on water/energy/order
it's called law of the land for a reason

>easily
i'll have you know the inside of houses caves cars ships planes etc. are the sovereign's land too in case you were thinking he didn't know what he was doing

as anon said
>you don't really have any option, it's not even "consent"
>>
>>9881942
this.
>>
>>9881884

hes one of the object oriented ontology guys now

fun to read, seems relevant to things going on in the world today
>>
thomas metzinger
>>
File: Hicks-Stephen-2013.jpg (84KB, 800x1121px) Image search: [Google]
Hicks-Stephen-2013.jpg
84KB, 800x1121px
Stephen Hicks - he has quite interesting views on Postmodernism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbA9ALOrHaA
>>
>>9884248
Nice seeing Hicks being spread around here. I think lit is where I learned about him actually.
>>
>>9884248
>>9884424
same poster
>>
Thomas Metzinger
Cheryl Misak
James Ladyman/ Don Ross
Hisaki Hashi
>>
>>9883171
>the object oriented ontology

convince me this isn't a massive meme
>>
Michel Houllebecq
>>
Deep and Edgy
>>
>>9884452
Nah.
>>
Andy Clark
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.