[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always wondered how many deities are in Lovecraft's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6688.png (946KB, 880x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6688.png
946KB, 880x550px
I've always wondered how many deities are in Lovecraft's work and what sets the elder gods with the outer gods and the other ones.
>>
>>9874707
Vageyena.
>>
>>9874707
There are no deities, per se.
We just call some of them "gods". Since they are races, technically more than have been named.

Lovecraft's world is, in essence, materialistic.

As for the real question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities
http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cthulhu_Mythos_deities

>what sets the elder gods with the outer gods and the other ones.
The distinction isn't really clear. And it changes often.
As a rule of thumb:
The Great Old Ones (Big C and the gang) are alien races, who are on earth. (With many minor "gods").
The Outer Gods can be divided between the Elder Gods and the Other Gods and are more "cosmic scale".
The Other Gods are mindless and, like, super dangerous, so never leave that flat-earth-dreamscape, boy.
>>
>>9874707
The distinction is merely ontological and a question of location, with there being no meaningful relation to human consciousness/activity,
making the question a pointless one.
>>
File: TFTLN-27.jpg (311KB, 763x701px) Image search: [Google]
TFTLN-27.jpg
311KB, 763x701px
>>9874707
are you looking for a definitive, authoritative final list of the official Lovecraftverse[tm] deities? so you can argue that this one shouldn't be on the list because Lovecraft never wrote about it, but this other one should because it was in all these other stories which you personally like but which Lovecraft didn't write and that guy over there who thinks Zalgo is canon is obviously insane because nope and

jesus christ, i am tired of sperglings who want to make lists of everything so they can argue about them.
>>
File: eb9.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eb9.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>9874785
Some people think there is a "canon" to the Lovecraft mythos.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.