[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ for some reason i'm fucking retarded and can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: nico.jpg (10KB, 232x346px) Image search: [Google]
nico.jpg
10KB, 232x346px
/lit/ for some reason i'm fucking retarded and can't remember what the bekker numbers are for the section in which Aristotle says that the best way for learning virtue from others is to identify the moral exemplars in our communities and imitate them.

To save me time and keep from rereading the entire Nicomachean ethics can someone help me out and just give me the line numbers again? Or even just the Book & Chapter in which the section is located would be helpful.
>>
>>9874194
I'm so fucking annoyed at myself for blanking on this I feel like I'm about to shit myself in anger
>>
1103b?

Similarly we become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts. 1. [5] This truth is attested by the experience of states: lawgivers make the citizens good by training them in habits of right action—this is the aim of all legislation, and if it fails to do this it is a failure; this is what distinguishes a good form of constitution from a bad one. 1. [6] Again, the actions from or through which any virtue is produced are the same as those through which it also is destroyed—just as is the case with skill in the arts, for both the good harpers and the bad ones are produced by harping, and similarly with builders and all the other craftsmen: as you will become a good builder from building well, so you will become a bad one from building badly. 1. [7] Were this not so, there would be no need for teachers of the arts, but everybody would be born a good or bad craftsman as the case might be. The same then is true of the virtues. It is by taking part in transactions with our fellow-men that some of us become just and others unjust; by acting in dangerous situations and forming a habit of fear or of confidence we become courageous or cowardly. And the same holds good of our dispositions with regard to the appetites, and anger; some men become temperate and gentle, others profligate and irascible, by actually comporting themselves in one way or the other in relation to those passions. In a word, our moral dispositions are formed as a result of the corresponding activities. 1. [8] Hence it is incumbent on us to control the character of our activities, since on the quality of these depends the quality of our dispositions. It is therefore not of small moment whether we are trained from childhood in one set of habits or another; on the contrary it is of very great, or rather of supreme, importance.2.
>>
File: IMG_3800.png (168KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3800.png
168KB, 750x1334px
>>9874319
No because that's him talking about the possibility of human beings to change their character, but not yet expounding on the proper way to do so.

I know that this part of the Wikipedia article on Aristotelian Ethics is talking explicitly about the point I'm trying to remember so I'm definitely not making it up.
>>
I found this in book 9 chapter 11

But in all things one obviously ought to imitate the better type of person.
>>
>>9874484
That's promising thanks, but I'm hoping for something that doesn't appear quite as cherry picked.
>>
>>9874394
I tried searching in NE III.6-8, because the Wiki page seems to point to Aristotle's treatment of courage. The 'on another note' part is not there. NE II.4 is about how virtue is acquired, and Politica VIII.3 too, but nothing there either.
My opinion is that the 'on another note' part should not be taken seriously, because Aristotle states that virtue should be learned by doing virtuous actions. Learning by example smells too much of Plato, who taught that knowledge of virtue was enough to make one virtuous.
>>
>>9874868
I'm not too sure. It does work with the larger Aristotelian definition of learning by doing. Imitating someone who is a paragon of virtue allows you to form a habit and inculcate yourself with the excellence of character. Without any idea of what virtue is, whether by mental defect or fault of upbringing there is no other way of achieving eudaimonia and that doesn't sound st all like Aristotle. Yes it's hard and harder for some to achieve eudaimonia, but it is expressly not impossible.
>>
>>9875008
Regardless, thank you for looking. I suppose I'll have to reread NE sooner than I'd planned.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.