[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to read the entire Western Canon. I know that I have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: greeks.jpg (129KB, 905x633px) Image search: [Google]
greeks.jpg
129KB, 905x633px
I want to read the entire Western Canon.
I know that I have to start with the greeks, but where?
Is there an infographic about it?
What are the books I should be looking for?
>>
File: start with the greeks2.jpg (2MB, 3240x3600px) Image search: [Google]
start with the greeks2.jpg
2MB, 3240x3600px
>>
>>9873922
charts make you procrastinate
read Theogony - > Illiad -> Odyssey then come back
>>
File: 1501832192235.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1501832192235.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>9873922
>>
>>9873922
There's like 20 different Greek infographics and they get posted every single day. If you've been on /lit/ for more than a week you've no doubt seen them posted dozens of times. How fucking new can you possibly be?
>>
>>9873922
Good day, Comrade.

I am coming to the end of "the Greeks" after a few years of dedicated study. By the grace of chaos I have a "career" which allows me indulge in world literature all day (I should be writing, I know, but I'm a tired old fish flopping around on my wife's new rug).

To re-discover antiquity, I started with two books: Mythology by Edith Hamilton and The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. The first provides structure and framework, the second describes the substance. These works are essential because of their authors' dedication to primary source material and their relentless, sometimes exhausting commitment to citation.

When I finished the aforementioned, I reviewed the bibliography of each work. Not only did these contain each and every primary work necessary to grasp the classics, but they included secondary sources as well.

By the time I had finished, I saw in my era, the eras preceding mine, and the eras to come, all the common threads and familiar weavings that have been and will always be.

I am, in a sense, reanimated. Maybe I'll leave something for this place. Maybe I'll take it with me.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Tom.

P.S. — when you absorb classical Greece, read H.H. Scullard's Rome: From 753 to 320 A.D.; and from Gnacci to Nero, his follow up. From there you can begin with devouring Ovid and Co., though Greece was of course their backbone.

Peace & Luff
>>
>>9873931
I found it very difficult do find some of this books
>>9873936
Thank you
>>9873996
My carreer is about engineering so I guess I'm doing this as a hobby. Any way thank you for your words
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.