[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a waste of time trying to read pomo writers? Do they actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1480135808641.jpg (88KB, 817x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1480135808641.jpg
88KB, 817x1229px
Is it a waste of time trying to read pomo writers? Do they actually have anything profound to say or is it all just gibberish bullshit?
>>
sounds like you are a brainlet
>>
>>9873236
Mostly the latter, anon. People claim PoMo fiction is justified and derives its value within the context of the modernist tradition, but anybody who actually studied modernism intently will tell you that postmodernists are wholly and utterly inferior in terms of effort, clarity, intertextuality, and their knowledge of the canon as a whole. It's the first tradition which operates independently of the traditions before it, so that instead of expanding, it destroys.

Postmodernists are skeptics but offer nothing by way of synthesis. Any child can mock, or knock down a sand castle, but not every child can build one.

They're all frauds and they're bad for literature.
>>
>>9873281
this
>>
>>9873281
>It's the first tradition which operates independently of the traditions before it, so that instead of expanding, it destroys.
You sound incredibly confused about what postmodernism is and have probably watched too many Jordan Peterson videos

Postmodernism isn't necessarily nihilistic or critical; it's simply an ongoing commentary on modernism. This means that it's more dependent on previous traditions than virtually any movement before, hence its heavily referential and self-reflexive nature.
>>
>>9873498
Lol. I haven't seen a Jordan Froggerson video in my life.

While it may be referential to modernism, I'd argue it is fundamentally critical. Isn't postmodern literature premised, at least substantially, on Deconstruction? On a fundamental mistrust of systems, orders, traditions that led us into WWII? It's anti-essentialist. Also, its progressive, but only in the sense that it abandons the rules of the game in favor of its own, which to me is easy, and therefore inferior. Maybe some Pomo works should not be dismissed due to their intentionality, as they accomplish what they intend to accomplish, which is exposing the faults in systems. But most fail.

Donald Barthelme's father dismissed his son's work as nonsensical and meaningless. I get the whole, "the meaning is in its absence" argument intellectually, but I cannot in good faith say the exhibits at MoMa are equally as valid as the exhibits at The Met. I agree with his daddy-O. Sons bury their fathers, yadda yadda, horseshit.

I haven't slept in a while and I'm on my phone and haven't been taken my medicine but this is my feel.
>>
>>9873565
>Isn't postmodern literature premised, at least substantially, on Deconstruction?

Deconstruction is modernist, not postmodernist. It is also not a form of critique.
>>
>>9873570
Postsrructuralism is absolutely a form of critique, and is unequivocally postmodern.

See Lyotard, Barthes, Toulmin, etc.
>>
>>9873594
Deconstruction being a form of postructuralism.
>>
>>9873594
"Poststucturalism" never existed, and neither did "structuralism"
>>
Gravity's rainbow
Infinite jest
Underworld
JR

Do people seriously enjoy these books? What about non pseudo intellectuals?
>>
>>9873628
K
>>
>>9873655
I don't know about non-pseudo-intellectuals, but I'm a pseudo-intellectual and I like those books (I've never read them).
>>
>>9873655
Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest are both very enjoyable, laffs-a-minute reads
>>
>>9873628
Are you being sarcastic?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.