[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(sorry for my horrible english) question to people who watched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: The-Turin-Horse2.jpg (197KB, 900x600px)
The-Turin-Horse2.jpg
197KB, 900x600px
(sorry for my horrible english)

question to people who watched The Turin Horse, and with a good understanting of Nietzsche.

The Turin Horse explicitly starts from the beginning of the mental breakdown of Nietzsche, only to spend the rest of the film examining the life of the horse's master.

I have a *very basic* understanding of Nietzsche, but I remember well the Eternal Recurrence stuff.

Throughout the movie we see the desperate and unexcited life of this man. Is he wasting is life, is he not living in full - is he so much a beast that Nietzsche went mad by seeing this animal (the master, not the horse)?

and also:

is the life of that man a mini "eternal return"? his days are always the same, with little to no variation.

I can't explain the ending. why is the society collapsing? the sun shutting down? it's not clear to me the connection with nietzsche philosophy.

if anyone can help, i'll be grateful
>>
>>9872597
Haven't seen it. Didnt even know this existed. Thank you for this, im going to watch it. Any other kneecha/philosophy based movies you know of?
>>
>>9872641
no man, just this i know of with a premise so solid.
stuff like Matrix can probably be interpreted in some philosophy, tho.

but The Turin Horse is from Bela Tarr, who is just one of the best patrician directors ever (if you like this watch Werckmeister Harmonies and the 7-hours-long Satantango)
>>
>>9872597
I interpreted the Father and Daughter as a take on the last men, or ourselves, living in a time where nihilism is rife but we accept it as the way of the world occupying ourselves with petty and meaningless routines. The farm is barren and the house is falling a part but they keep working and doing their chores and the only pleasures they gain are sleeping and eating their potatoes. I found the potato eating scenes representative of this, it is a good indication of the differences in character between the Father and Daughter. The father always goes in quickly and fights off the pain from the steamy potato where as the daughter stares at it and waits before eating. In the final scene after they have run out of lamps they eat their potatoes once again in Silence and the father goes onto doing his same routine of eating again chasing the what pleasure he can despite the futility of the situation where as the daughter does not eat and the father recognises this and finally understands. Nietzsche believed Eve to be the first scientist, the one who first sought to know and take from the tree and give it Adam so that they may know. This scene is similar to that except that now the truth Eve brings is the truth of the futility of mans situation and they both cease striving for life as the the last light fades and the howl of the wind is all that is left.
>>
>>9872597
I didn't really understand it.

My best guess was that the movie was about how Nietzsche's philosophy isn't something practical for the poor/working class to live by. Instead of encouraging the characters to become supermen, Nietzsche solely took God and religion away from them, leaving them with a monotonous life on repeat.

I didn't really think about the eternal recurrence stuff, but maybe Bela Tarr was trying to comment on that too...

>>9872641
For Nietzsche: 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Sacrifice.
>>
>>9872836
>2001

now that you mention it-
i never thought about that David could represent the Nietzschian transition
Camel (the humanity before the monolith) > Lion (humanity freed from God) > Baby (quite literally David after his "enlightment")

very nice.
>>
>>9872865

>Nietzsche allegory
Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophical tract Thus Spoke Zarathustra, about the potential of mankind, is directly referred to by the use of Richard Strauss's musical piece of the same name. Nietzsche writes that man is a bridge between the ape and the Übermensch. In an interview in the New York Times, Kubrick gave credence to interpretations of 2001 based on Zarathustra when he said: "Somebody said man is the missing link between primitive apes and civilized human beings. You might say that is inherent in the story too. We are semicivilized, capable of cooperation and affection, but needing some sort of transfiguration into a higher form of life. Man is really in a very unstable condition." Moreover, in the chapter Of the Three Metamorphoses, Nietzsche identifies the child as the last step before the Uberman (after the camel and the lion), lending further support to this interpretation in light of the 'star-child' who appears in the final scenes of the movie.

Donald MacGregor has analysed the film in terms of a different work, The Birth of Tragedy, in which Nietzsche refers to the human conflict between the Apollonian and Dionysian modes of being. The Apollonian side of man is rational, scientific, sober, and self-controlled. For Nietzsche a purely Apollonian mode of existence is problematic, since it undercuts the instinctual side of man. The Apollonian man lacks a sense of wholeness, immediacy, and primal joy. It is not good for a culture to be either wholly Apollonian or Dionysian. While the world of the apes at the beginning of 2001 is Dionysian, the world of travel to the moon is wholly Apollonian, and HAL is an entirely Apollonian entity. Kubrick's film came out just a year before the Woodstock rock festival, a wholly Dionysian affair. MacGregor argues that David Bowman in his transformation has regained his Dionysian side.
>>
>>9872865
>>9873046
i always thought that Apocalypse: Now goes in the very same direction
>>
>>9872836
i don't believe nietzsche believed himself to be taking religion away from society. while he did critique it, he thought nihilism would become a big threat because of the demystification of the the world as science and stuff replaces religion.
>>
>>9873198
care to expand? i love Apocalypse Now but haven't seen a philosophical allegory behind it
>>
>>9873231
i mean concering the three transitions.

willard seeks for a job in vietnam, because he cannot let loose (camel), then as the story develops, he becomes a sort of a lion fighting his way through the jungle until the end, when he literally becomes the jungle and kills the evil represented by colonel kurtz and frees himself from the madness (child).

this is a very simple depiction though, also i havent watched the movie in a while
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.