[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the ideal reading experiences in which to partake of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: carver.jpg (65KB, 323x365px) Image search: [Google]
carver.jpg
65KB, 323x365px
what are the ideal reading experiences in which to partake of various authors?

examples:
carver -> 50's style living room, whiskey, cigarettes
murakami -> weed, jazz music, plate of spaghetti
knausgaard -> beer, the clash playing on the radio, rye bread, browser open to a picture of a cute nordic girl
borges -> a cold empty hexagonal space
>>
I think (borges - in an ancient library high in psilocybin) sounds much more appropriate

also i see burroughs' Naked Lunch sitting on the floor, a book i abandoned. Id say the appropriate experience for reading is that you're a gay junky pedophile
>>
>>9871455
>carver
>50s
dude what? Carver is definitely fake wood paneling and general gaudy late 70s/early 80s furnishings from budget department stores. linoleum. bright orange, nauseating washed out green carpets. and of course dull mustard yellow plastic ash trays that haven't been emptied and are just stuffed with cigarettes.
>>
>>9871726
damn this makes his stories even cooler. guess i know what i'm rereading tonight.
>>
Is pynchon a bachelor pad with last night's Chinese food, lots of technology and cheap decoration?
>>
File: 1477955763466.jpg (39KB, 477x479px) Image search: [Google]
1477955763466.jpg
39KB, 477x479px
>>9871455
>Murakami
>plate of spaghetti
accompany with coffee, an empty house, loneliness, and sense of no agency
>>
>>9871455
>William S. Burroughs
In a brothel in Morocco while you wait for your gay child prostitute to come to your room.
>Cormac McCarthy
At a hotel or camper van in some drive-through southwestern town. Junkies periodically tap on your windows a they walk past.
>Yann Martel
A tent in some Indian shithole after dropping acid with the locals.
>Bernhard Schlink
A middle-class well-to-do German neighbourhood, as the local schoolchildren are singing choirs in the streets below.
>Yukio Mishima
A hot day at home while everyone else is out at work, with the window cracked open slightly to let in a gentle breeze and the far-off horn of the ships.
>Ernest Hemingway
A bottle of wine, a fishing rod, and a pair of defective testicles in a remote village in the middle of the mountains.
>>
>Franz Kafka
Eating your brownbag lunch alone at your desk at work avoiding making eye contact with the black and white photo of your father you keep on your desk.
>>
Reddit: the thread.
>>
>>9872607
I absolutely despise the fact that Kafka is treated as some sort of workaholic, when in reality he only worked from 8am to 1pm and usually (as his coworkers attest) turned up late and left early.
>>
File: 1500632920287.png (35KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1500632920287.png
35KB, 700x700px
>>9872646
>muh reddit
>>
>>9872602
>A bottle of wine
nah, bourbon
>>
>>9872651

That is ideal. Damn.
>>
>>9871455
The ideal reading experience is when the book is worth reading regardless of external circumstances.
>>
>>9872215
I agree with this. I for a while read Norwegian wood every morning before school over a cup of coffee and now every time I see the cover I get the strong memory of the taste of coffee in a cold room with no intention of carrying on with my day yet being forced to
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.