[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here is the start of a book I'll never finish. Would you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images (14).jpg (39KB, 311x473px) Image search: [Google]
images (14).jpg
39KB, 311x473px
The once highly respected man became an insignificant version of his former self. People from far and close were baffled how this man, who was awarded great admiration by his peers and strangers, came to be this poverty stricken creature that now stood before them. No one actually bothered to ask him of his self imposed reasons, but rather, looked on at this assumed train wreck, this apparent madman, and cast forth their aspersions.

One day, while the man was in town; a girl with sweet lips and daring eyes tapped on his shoulder and spoke these words, words that will later lead to a response that changed her life.

“My dear, it’s scarcely my business to ask, but I do not wish to hold any prejudice against you. I will not stand back and gawk as all the others have done. So you see, it’s not a matter of mere curiosity, it's a matter of must, a matter of pure meaning. I am sorry, my dear sir, I am now blabbering, but I ask in great haste, if not only to stop all this calamity and restore a sense of restfulness, but to learn and understand.”

She paused momentarily, and then pursued with her abrupt question

“what has happened to you? what has become of you?”

Startled at first, the man grew a slight smile and his eyes began to look a little less sad

“I did not like myself, I began to grow fond of death far more than I enjoyed my own company, and that scared me. You see, while I had the admiration from all these people, I did not admire myself. I have never been a man of education, so I did not understand what was going on in my mind when I all of a sudden became morose. Everything I thought that mattered in this world became false, seemingly overnight. I stripped myself of my former identity. I parted with my past on the search of a true awakening, a true purpose. For the first time in my life I started to dress comfortably and read books. I watched the sunset a little longer, I laughed a little harder, and I embraced my innumerable amount of thoughts and emotions that I had locked away for all these years. I felt truly alive for the first time in my life, that is, until all these people started to clamour and made me feel like a madman, but I can assure you of one thing, my darling, it is they who are mad. It is they who are lost. I may look like a man of destitute to them, but it is they who are poor. They lack knowledge and they lack craft.”

The man looked around and noticed the city was starting to get busy and was filling up with noise.

“I must leave now, i’m sorry if I seem evasive, but I never come out here for too long. It is not good for me. I write poetry and I must return to my words. To all these people, I may not exist in their world anymore. but I will tell you one last thing, my darling, I am a very happy man in mine.”

As he started to depart, the girl was trying to gather her thoughts and understand what she had just heard

“Wait!” she shouted, watching him walk away.

“Can I please come with you?”
>>
It's overly wordy for a beginning passage and doesn't have anything that's going to really hold a reader's attention long term.

There isn't much presented rather than a verbose poet being mistaken for a madman in about 10 times the amount of words that would be needed to eloquently express the idea. His monologue also isn't something that would do well at the beginning of a written work because the reader does not have enough atttachment or investment in the character to read and identify with what he's expressing, so it just comes off as pretentious.

I'm not saying it's poorly written, just not enticing enough to prompt further interest in reading.
>>
I liked it. The amount of words and how he spoke worked with his character,I was able to get a pretty good sense of who he is. I would keep reading. I'm curious to see what happens next.
>>
>>9871438
The opening line is clunky.
>>
>>9871511
Yeah I agree. I had a lot of issues working out how to start it. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>9871508
Thank you
>>
>The man.
>>
>One day, while the man was in town; a girl...
>>
>>9871438
Show. Don't tell.
>>
>>9871438
I think the beggining is a bit dry. I know there are good books with dry text, but this one just feels a bit like a chore.
Since this is the beggining, you need to try hook up the reader, then, when the reader or hooked up in the plot, he will endure some dryness for majority of time, but if this is your first write of this section, its okay, because you can try to make it less dry and more "engaiging" if you know what I mean.
Oh, and one minor thing

>an was in town; a girl
I am pretty sure this isent how you use ; . I AM sure it is just , not ; .
>>
>>9871949
I take it that English isn't your first language?
>>
>>9872460
No it isent.
I wasent sure is ; is used the same way everywhere, but either way it was already said.
>>
>>9871438
This prose is unbelievably corny. I get you're trying to emulate past masters because you read a lot of classics, but they (for the most part) were writing at least 'very similar' to the language of the time. Find a way to make modern syntax and modes of speaking pretty, what you're doing now seems horribly stilted.
>>
>>9872956
Actually that's an intense exaggeration. It's not 'unbelievably' corny, i've definitely read worse. It's just generally corny. The prose of someone who is trying for "nice prose."
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.